The Extra tution centre - Bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elenajob

The Extra tution centre - Bexley

Post by Elenajob »

Hello,

Could you advise me please if The extra tution centre is good or not. If you have any experience please share!

Thank you
PurpleDuck

Re: The Extra tution centre - Bexley

Post by PurpleDuck »

Do you know any current year 6 parents in your school whose children attended the centre? There may also be some with children already in secondary schools but younger siblings still in your DC's primary. They may be able to offer some feedback and suggest alternatives as well.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Ask them how many students they got into the schools you want to go to this year.

Ask to speak to a parent who got their student in this year. DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

I would ask how many started and how many finished, passed and got into their desired school in March. Not waiting list or appeal.

I know of a tutoring centre were the children drop off or give up around Easter. Most of those who stay pass and go into their statistics. Being out of area, a pass is not much use, so they don't publish how many actually had the score to get a place.
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

We used The Extra Tuition Centre in Bexleyheath. I liked it because the work was planned and structured and the children sit in silence and get on with their work. They put their hands up to ask for help if they need it.

It does not suit every child as it requires the ability to be able to work independently. Try to pick a week day to attend as Saturdays get busy - up to 15 in a class.

Unfortunately they do not set homework but they do assess regularly. My ds gained a place at Dartford Grammar School.

Tuition once a week is not enough. We also did revision at home regularly.

Hope this helps
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ronkevso wrote:We used The Extra Tuition Centre in Bexleyheath. I liked it because the work was planned and structured and the children sit in silence and get on with their work. They put their hands up to ask for help if they need it.

It does not suit every child as it requires the ability to be able to work independently. Try to pick a week day to attend as Saturdays get busy - up to 15 in a class.

Unfortunately they do not set homework but they do assess regularly. My ds gained a place at Dartford Grammar School.

Tuition once a week is not enough. We also did revision at home regularly.

Hope this helps
Sitting in silence doing what? Do the tutors actually teach anything to the group? I ask out of sheer idle curiosity, I'm afraid, as neither I nor any of our DC have any experience of paid tutoring (nor are we in your area) and to me, sitting in silence and asking for help occasionally, and working independently sound like the kind of thing a child could be doing at home with a 'how to...' book, should one feel that they needed help to pass an exam? I always imagined that tutors, well, 'tuted', so to speak :?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thebestmummy

Post by thebestmummy »

Hi I'd just like to tell you of another tuition group
that both my children went to - one 4 years ago
and the other last summer..
CS Tuition, Hurst Rd, Bexley.
The female teachers make the 11+ learning
experience fun and always seem to have the
kids engaged.
I simply cannot recommend it highly enough,
my kids enjoyed attending classes each and
every week
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Do parents really pay for their students to sit in silence and do work? Couldn't they just do that at home or in the library?

I can understand them preparing the work at home and taking it to the centre to be checked and explained but not sitting them and doing it while the tutors do something else?

Every time I walk past our local Explore Learning all the students have headphones on and are on the computer while the "tutors" stand chatting among themselves.

Surely it would be cheaper to just purchase monthly online software packages? DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

I guess the only valuable thing would be the materials provided in the sessions. However, they don't even provide them for homework leaving the parents to buy homework materials. You could say that they have local knowledge of the exam and are able to better target the work. Having said that, a parent can acquire that knowledge by asking around.

How much do they charge? You could get a tutor going to your home for £25 to £30. I think 15 children in a class would be too much and I doubt the effectiveness of their tuition. If your child is able to work independently, they you would be better off buying the materials and giving them to your child at home.
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

This type of tuition works for many children hence the number of centres they have in Bexley/ Kent area. It suited my son as he likes to just get on with the work set.

Every time a child needs help they have a teacher and grammar school students as assistants to explain the work / methods to them. My son liked having younger students to assist.
The work is planned according to the initial assessment taken which highlights strengths and weaknesses. So students complete work according to their individualised programme. As my son became more confident with the work the teacher gave him more challenging work and gave extra work on his weaker areas.

My son really enjoyed this type of tuition and gained a lot from it but like I said previously it is not for every child. You must choose a method that is suited to your child's learning style.