format of Essex exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

format of Essex exams

Post by patricia »

Dear All

This is going to be a work in progress format, I would be grateful if you could add your knowledge of the exams here. I will then produce a STICKY to keep at the top of the Essex forum page, for newcomers to view...

My information so far...

There are 2 exam types in Essex - Consortium and non-cosortium.

The consortium consists of 13 schools who run a single exam (e.g. Colchester Royal Grammar). Each year one of the headteachers takes it in turn to write the English and Mathematics papers. The VR paper is NFER (15 types), multiple choice as of 2007 (prior Sdtandard). The consortium exams are run by a body called the CSSE.

http://www.csse.org.uk/

The non-consortium schools (e.g. Redbridge) sets exams by NFER, multiple choice NVR and VR (21 types).

Can someone list the schools that are NOT part of the CSSE?

Feel free to refute my info.

Patricia
gooner

Post by gooner »

Woodford County High School for Girls
Ilford County High School for Boys
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

You can buy past papers (English and Maths) from the CSSE.

From what I can remember , the 11+ CSSE guide available from CSSE website is usually from the end of Summer term. Lots of valuable 11+ informations can be found there.

Nov 2007 format when my son took the exam. CSSE provided the following informations:

English test (40mins)
Maths Test (35 mins)
Break
Verbal reasoning (50mins)
tami

Post by tami »

for redbridge you have to live within it's boundaries and have most recent council tax bill to prove it otherwise you can't sit the 11+ as you are out of borough
For the csse anyone can apply some children even attend from westminister!
Tami
moved

Southend

Post by moved »

For the CSSE schools in Southend, the child must be educated in a Southend Primary School, otherwise they will be treated as out of area, it does not matter where they live, nor whether the school is state maintained or not.
Southend High School for Boys
Southend High School for Girls
Westcliff High School for Boys
Westcliff High School for Girls
chewy

Post by chewy »

For southend by out of area it means the first 115 places are kept for southend children if they meet the grade.  If they dont meet the grade the place are available to the out of area.  Starting at the top of the grades and moving down untill all places are filled. Which basically means if you live outside area you have to get a pretty high grade to stand a chance of getting in.