TGS Music Lessons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tgsmum16

TGS Music Lessons

Post by tgsmum16 »

Hi

Hope you all had a very good bank holiday weekend.
Could you please share your DD's experience about TGS music lessons.
How the children are managing the missed lessons.
Is it manageable if they miss the lessons? And some teachers cannot take it if a child misses their class continuously for a term or so? I mean, will they be in trouble later?
I was in the middle of filling the 'forms to return' for the September 2016 starting DD.
My DD likes singing and guitar, will select one.

Thanks
hina

Re: TGS Music Lessons

Post by hina »

tgsmum16 wrote:Hi

Hope you all had a very good bank holiday weekend.
Could you please share your DD's experience about TGS music lessons.
How the children are managing the missed lessons.
Is it manageable if they miss the lessons? And some teachers cannot take it if a child misses their class continuously for a term or so? I mean, will they be in trouble later?
I was in the middle of filling the 'forms to return' for the September 2016 starting DD.
My DD likes singing and guitar, will select one.

Thanks

hello there
my daughter palys piano, she catches up the miss lesson through her friends, and she never misses the same lesson twice in a term, they alternate time every week, seems to manage it just fine.
tgsmum16

Post by tgsmum16 »

Thanks hina, happy to know
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Music lessons are not a problem. Go for it!

Your challenge will probably getting your DD to the lesson since they mix up the times from week to week and also it's a bit daunting as a little Y7 to get the courage up to leave mid-lesson. The teachers won't mind... TGS has very active orchestras and choirs etc.
Animis opibusque parati
tgsmum16

Post by tgsmum16 »

Thanks SunlampVexesEel, yes you are correct, that's what worried me.
If she is not able to manage, we will take her out later
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The music department is very strong - it's an unexpected bonus. The school is awash with talented musicians and singers. Those who arrive with less experience musically are also encouraged to try things out and get involved. In addition to formal lessons, there are lots of opportunities for girls to play in groups of various sizes and skill levels, many at lunchtime. It's a nice way to meet girls from other classes and other year groups.

Start thinking about the black garb for music concerts. :D
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tgsmum16

Post by tgsmum16 »

Thanks Stroller, Great! happy to know!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I agree with other posters that going out of normal lessons for music lessons is really not a problem. If the girls find that their lesson clashes with something important, like a test that they can't miss, they can make their own arrangements to swop with another pupil; timetables are displayed at school. The music at the school is really excellent and I'd have no hesitation in getting booked up. There is likely to be a waiting list for singing lessons as they are incredibly popular.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

tgsmum16 wrote:Thanks SunlampVexesEel, yes you are correct, that's what worried me.
It not a problem, when you get list of dates and times, simply copy them all into their school planner in a coloured pen so they stand out, we use green biro for events so it doesn't get lost in homework submission notes (black or blue) and stands out.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Snowdaddy wrote:
tgsmum16 wrote:Thanks SunlampVexesEel, yes you are correct, that's what worried me.
It not a problem, when you get list of dates and times, simply copy them all into their school planner in a coloured pen so they stand out, we use green biro for events so it doesn't get lost in homework submission notes (black or blue) and stands out.
Or print out a copy of the timetable for your daughter and get her to write it in. Mine would be aghast if she thought I might be tempted to write dates of any kind in her planner! You will be sent a music lesson timetable by email at the beginning of each term.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now