Nets and Cubes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

grgygirl

Nets and Cubes

Post by grgygirl »

Can anyone say whether nets and cubes have come up please in the Bexley exam recently? I know it's CEM so anything goes! If so, do you know of any resources specifically on these as ds struggling to do them within a tight time frame (other than Bond 10-11 NVR/CGP)? Thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: Nets and Cubes

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD did Newstead, Bexley and Kent last September and she only remembers cubes on the latter.
oberoijasleen

Post by oberoijasleen »

DD remembers atleast 3 questions on nets and cubes in Bexley test last year. We did the Schofields & sims books for NVR. All concepts very clearly explained.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

Cubes , nets and codes are not in Bexley exam....I heard from my old tutor
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

oberoijasleen wrote:DD remembers atleast 3 questions on nets and cubes in Bexley test last year. We did the Schofields & sims books for NVR. All concepts very clearly explained.
dwisdom wrote:Cubes , nets and codes are not in Bexley exam....I heard from my old tutor
If your tutor had a promise from an insider at Durham University that a CEM-written exam would never contain certain types of question, either Oberoijasleen's DD is misremembering, or the tutor was 'had' :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

I'm pretty certain that my DS said that there were a few cube questions when he sat the Bexley test a couple of years ago ....
shabbymummy

Post by shabbymummy »

My son did the Bexley test in Sept 2015 and there were no cubes or nets (according to him). The darn things haunted us and seem to crop up in Bond and CGP books ... in both maths and NVR. Drove me mad. It was a total blind spot for my son, too, yet most other things he found quite manageable. Relief that they didn't crop up on the tests. That's not to say they won't in future, though, I suppose ....

I decided the strategy was to not get too hung up on those 'blind spots' (if the child can't see it, they can't see it) and focus more on the other stuff.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks shabbymummy - as I also said further up thread, just like your son that is how DD remembers it but someone else here remembers it different. Goes to show how confusing it all is and generally you need to be prepared to find a variety of questions. DD says she was relieved they weren't in Bexley as she hated them so much and was one reason she really disliked the Kent test. She says many of the details are hazy as she did do three grammar tests and one indie test but on this - as she disliked them so much - she remembers the relief of them not being in any test except Kent.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Maybe those who thought they saw them had also taken the Kent test and are getting them confused?
3 years ago my son was very unreliable when he did them and now when I ask him he says that the types are familiar, but this can be due to the practice papers!
In any case, if they did or didn't come up last year it doesn't mean they won't this year.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

From what I remember we were told that are two types of cem....Bexley is of the easier type : no cubes, no codes and no cloze with missing letters

Of course cem might change this rule after reading my email :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now