Age Standardisation - non academic

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Strawberry123

Age Standardisation - non academic

Post by Strawberry123 »

Does age standardisation apply to the music, sport etc tests or just academic?
3b1g

Re: Age Standardisation - non academic

Post by 3b1g »

Three of my children did the music aptitude test in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Each time we were given a score out of 60, which seemed to be a raw score and not standardised.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

3b1g wrote:Three of my children did the music aptitude test in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Each time we were given a score out of 60, which seemed to be a raw score and not standardised.
If it is stated as being 'out of', e.g.'45 / 60', then it is definitely not a standardised score.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Strawberry123

Post by Strawberry123 »

Thanks. I find it intriguing that the scores for one means of entry consider age yet the other means do not.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Strawberry123 wrote:Thanks. I find it intriguing that the scores for one means of entry consider age yet the other means do not.
Two possible reasons:

1) standardisation needs a fairly large sample size, so there are enough children in each month to give a statistically meaningful standardised score.

2) academic marking in maths & VR is totally objective, whilst sport and music assessments will have a degree of subjectivity.

Maybe there are rules for the non-academic assessors to, subjectively, account for age.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

with the music they are looking for musical aptitude not ability ( there is a difference) and they use the same exam that many of the choir schools use for screening potential choristers at age 7-8! Your ability to hear the number of notes in a chord or the difference between 2 short runs of notes does not vary hugely with age and certainly not over a period of months between the age of 10 and 11, hence no need to standardise
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now