Highest Combined Score in Tiffin Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Potterfan

Highest Combined Score in Tiffin Boys

Post by Potterfan »

Does anyone know how many boys got the very top combined score for Tiffins Boys? As there may be several boys who got the top combined score.
tiffinboys

Re: Highest Combined Score in Tiffin Boys

Post by tiffinboys »

:roll: :roll:
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Potterfan wrote:Does anyone know how many boys got the very top combined score for Tiffins Boys? As there may be several boys who got the top combined score.
Sorry, I don't know, but why does it matter? What benefit would it bring if we did know?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

There are probably a reasonable number. Whenever you look at standardised scores there will be a blip at the top end. There will probably be a few boys who scored full raw marks on the maths for example. And it will depend on the mean and the distribution of scores. I suspect that it was only in English that 146 was achieved as there is usually a smaller distribution of maths scores, especially above the mean. And of course these standardised scores don't tell you what the raw scores were - a Sept born boy may have had to score significantly more than an August born child to get the same standardised result - it might even be the case that if August born boys scored 100%, then it would be impossible for a Sept born boy to get even close to the highest standardised score!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Potterfan wrote:Does anyone know how many boys got the very top combined score for Tiffins Boys? As there may be several boys who got the top combined score.
Sigh.
Animis opibusque parati
doodles

Post by doodles »

Potterfan, I'm assuming that your DS is starting there in September, I don't know about TB specifically but it really doesn't matter what a child scores to get into a selective school such as TB. They will all enter yr7 on an equal footing and I would hope that they will be treated exactly the same whether they be the top scorer or the bottom scorer.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In my experience the 11+ score tells the school nothing about how well the child will do - we don't even share it these days as it proved so meaningless.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

And, in my children's experience, the ones who brag (possibly influenced by their parents...?) about their "top" scores often end up being nowhere near the top of the ability range when they get going with work in year 7.

I would take no notice of actual scores. If they are in, they are in.
Kingston mum

Post by Kingston mum »

I agree with all the replies, I do not see why it's important to know this fact. IMHO Tiffin should do like the Sutton Grammar Schools where I understand that you are told that you have passed but not the score so everybody starts on a level playing field. I have already heard that some boys at my DS school were boasting in the playground re their results claiming top scores so it's not helpful particularly as it was mentioned before that there is no correlation with how well you do at school afterwards.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

I thought your DS was going to Wilson's Potterfan?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now