Independent Panel

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Munster

Independent Panel

Post by Munster »

Do the Independent Panel get together before the actual appeal hearings to discuss individual cases? Or do they just turn up on the day to hear the appeals?
Sally-Anne

Re: Independent Panel

Post by Sally-Anne »

Each member receives the full paperwork in advance and reads it beforehand. They do not convene to discuss it ahead of the hearing.

They might mention a case among themselves while having a cuppa before the hearing, but it would only be in the broadest terms and wouldn't form any part of their consideration.
Munster

Post by Munster »

Thanks Sally-Anne

That is useful to know. Anticipating lots of questions!
Munster

Post by Munster »

I have noticed on this forum that there are some complex and very different cases to go to appeal. Would the panel have to discuss these beforehand to save taking up too much time on the day?
Eirinn00

Post by Eirinn00 »

Munster wrote:I have noticed on this forum that there are some complex and very different cases to go to appeal. Would the panel have to discuss these beforehand to save taking up too much time on the day?
Hi I think they would have a brief discussion after each appeal hearing, once they have had all of their questions answered. I know they read all of the evidence supplied before the day of appeal (as we do once all the paperwork is received). :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Munster wrote:I have noticed on this forum that there are some complex and very different cases to go to appeal. Would the panel have to discuss these beforehand to save taking up too much time on the day?
No. If a complex case requires more than the usual allotted time, appeals overrun, and that's that.
Munster

Post by Munster »

Thank you. Things are a lot clearer now. Just one very nervous parent who doesn't want to let their daughter down after waiting for 8 months!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now