September birthday - any chance for Kendrick?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katrina70

September birthday - any chance for Kendrick?

Post by katrina70 »

Hi, my dd is taking the Kendrick test in Sept and her birthday is the beginning of Sept - does anyone with a Sept birthday ever manage to get a place?! If the scores are standardised and summer-born children have points added on, how does that work in practice for the older ones, when there are so few places anyway? Anyone out there know of successful 'older' applicants (who aren't completely genius-level)? :?:
Tinkers

Re: September birthday - any chance for Kendrick?

Post by Tinkers »

It's not a case of points added or taken away for age. Girls are compared to those born in the same month.
There are definitely girls with sept birthdays DDs class and weirdly no August born DDs.
katrina70

Post by katrina70 »

That's reassuring to hear about September-borns! I don't think I understand the age-standardising method - literature about the tests does seem to imply that the younger ones have an extra point or two added on, but how does that then affect the older ones?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
katrina70

Post by katrina70 »

Ah thanks, that's helpful to read. Just trying to gauge how my dd would fare against the scary numbers of children we are told will be competing... It's tricky to know what kind of raw scores for the different ages are likely to secure a standardised score which is high enough... even roughly. When my older dd, also Sept born, took the test 8 years ago we knew she had to aim for about 98% correct answers, and she didn't get a place as she was 1 mark off the lowest who got one of the 96. It was simpler to gauge then though, with only VR and NVR.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

98% seems extremely high.

DD is in year 9 and I know from the info we got that year that averaging a just little over 90% in both tests was just about enough. Of course this was the old GL tests. I'd expect lower raw scores for the CEM tests.

I've been able to compare similar standardised scores of girls born earlier and later in the year knowing their raw score and there wasn't a great deal in it, one or two marks difference only in Raw score to get the same standardised score. In theory the way standardisation works you should end up with an even spread of birthdays.
katrina70

Post by katrina70 »

Thanks, that's good to hear.