Help!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ecar81

Help!!

Post by Ecar81 »

Hi, I am due to attend my sons appeal on Wednesday and I am feeling so nervous.
I know the school are going to present their case as to why they cannot offer my son a place but do I have to argue against that? If so what sort of points could I make?

Many thanks. X
Guest55

Re: Help!!

Post by Guest55 »

Head over and look at the stickies - are you appealing just on over-subscription?
Ecar81

Post by Ecar81 »

Ok lovely. Thank you.
I am appealing for both due to extenuating circumstances.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you already sent some evidence of high ability to the panel?

I think most of your questions are answeres in the stickies :)
Ecar81

Post by Ecar81 »

Yes all evidence has already been submitted.
Also do I read out the statement that I already sent in or do I need to present my case using bullet points?

Really starting to worry and I don't know what is the best way to present our case.

Many thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The panel won't thank you for reading out what they have already read in advance, so you should simply summarise the key points and expand upon anything that you feel may need more explanation. 5 minutes at the most unless your case is very complex. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am answering this as a person not as anyone who has any experience of appeals, other than helping a couple of friends (not for grammar school in either case).

Just think about if you were on the panel - what would help you to understand why a person is appealing? Would it be someone reading out a beautifully-worded, prepared statement, or would it be someone who had written some points down, was clearly nervous because they knew how important the day was, and who was therefore trying to get some eye contact, to put across the points concisely and briefly and as best they could, even if it meant they stumbled a bit, and who answered questions naturally, if not in a particularly polished way? Personally I think the latter - I don't mean bursting into tears and sobbing about your marvellous child, but equally, reading something out might look a bit clinical, and you really want the panel to understand why this is so important to you.

I think maybe decide which two or three points you feel are the most important and have it in your mind how you will get those across, whatever happens. The panel will have seen your evidence anyway so they will only want to clarify certain things. I always think the truth is best so don't embellish it; don't run the system or the other school down, just try as clearly as possible to explain why you feel your child needs to go to the school you are appealing for.

At the end of the day you are only a human being and can only do your best. Don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake.

Good luck
Ecar81

Post by Ecar81 »

Thank you both, that has really helped to clear things up.
I didn't think they would want to hear it all again as it is quite a lenghty case. So I will try to keep it short and sweet.

Also the paperwork says you get a chance to sum up at the end so would that just be repeating the key points I would like to get across?

Thanks again.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ecar81 wrote:Also the paperwork says you get a chance to sum up at the end so would that just be repeating the key points I would like to get across?
Thank the panel for hearing your case and sum up in one line: "We hope you will feel able to uphold our case" or similar. The summing-up is no more than a courtesy on both sides - yours and the admission authority.
Ecar81

Post by Ecar81 »

Ok that's great. Thank you so much.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now