Coach service

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dreamfactory

Coach service

Post by dreamfactory »

Is there any coach service from Redbridge to colshester?
tian

Re: Coach service

Post by tian »

Hi Dream factory,
Yes there is. If u look down on the Essex forum for the topic of "commute from ilford/East london" written by Malli they have organized a transport service from your area to Colchester. They asked who is interested.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dreamfactory wrote:Is there any coach service from Redbridge to colshester?
If you scroll back a few months in the Essex section, you will see that at least one other person has posted on this topic. Someone was going to set up a girls-only service, but I don't know whether they managed to find a company which was able to guarantee a female driver for both 50-odd mile journeys both ways every day of the term?

Colchester is a very interesting town (the nursery rhyme 'Twinkle,twinkle,little star' was written by two young girls living in what is now the Hollytrees social history museum at the beginning of the nineteenth century :) ) and there are some very nice areas to live in within a short local bus ride, or even walking distance, of the grammar schools. We are only occasional visitors, but members such as Proudmumregardless and Colcmum will be able to advise you, I'm sure.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you scroll back a few months in the Essex section, you will see that at least one other person has posted on this topic. Someone was going to set up a girls-only service, but I don't know whether they managed to find a company which was able to guarantee a female driver for both 50-odd mile journeys both ways every day of the term?

Colchester is a very interesting town (the nursery rhyme 'Twinkle,twinkle,little star' was written by two young girls living in what is now the Hollytrees social history museum at the beginning of the nineteenth century :) ) and there are some very nice areas to live in within a short local bus ride, or even walking distance, of the grammar schools. We are only occasional visitors, but members such as Proudmumregardless and Colcmum will be able to advise you, I'm sure.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I had the misfortune to have to coach from Colchester to Newbury park a few weeks ago when the train line was out of action. I was travelling at the weekend rather than in weekday rush hour traffic but it was still not a journey I would recommend ever, definitely not every schoolday for 7 years.
bravado

Post by bravado »

ToadMum wrote:

Colchester is a very interesting town (the nursery rhyme 'Twinkle,twinkle,little star' was written by two young girls living in what is now the Hollytrees social history museum at the beginning of the nineteenth century :) ) .
May I be so bold as to correct you about Colchester local history, ToadMum? The Taylor girls didn't live in what's now Holly Trees Museum, rather, they lived in a little house in what's known as 11 - 12 West Stockwell Street, in Colchester's "Dutch Quarter".

Here's a lovely little link for the history....

http://www.thecolchesterarchaeologist.co.uk/?p=3592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here's a link to image of the plaque on the wall I pass every day :-)

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bravado

Post by bravado »

Minesatea wrote:I had the misfortune to have to coach from Colchester to Newbury park a few weeks ago when the train line was out of action. I was travelling at the weekend rather than in weekday rush hour traffic but it was still not a journey I would recommend ever, definitely not every schoolday for 7 years.
Neither would I recommend that journey either, Minesatea. My "energy-rich" DD's bus-commute only involves crossing one side of Colchester to the other but she's tired enough when she gets home at the end of it. I know that on the other hand, there's probably loads of parents and pupils who will vouch that it's perfectly fine and it doesn't have an impact on their lives: it's horses for courses. Looking back after nearly three academic years at ColCHS, I'd say it's a "big ask" of any child, to expect them to face a lengthy journey home after a taxing day, then face more academic work and extra-curricular activities at the end of it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

bravado wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

Colchester is a very interesting town (the nursery rhyme 'Twinkle,twinkle,little star' was written by two young girls living in what is now the Hollytrees social history museum at the beginning of the nineteenth century :) ) .
May I be so bold as to correct you about Colchester local history, ToadMum? The Taylor girls didn't live in what's now Holly Trees Museum, rather, they lived in a little house in what's known as 11 - 12 West Stockwell Street, in Colchester's "Dutch Quarter".

Here's a lovely little link for the history....

http://www.thecolchesterarchaeologist.co.uk/?p=3592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here's a link to image of the plaque on the wall I pass every day :-)

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks - I shall amend my 'Colchester Tourist Board' spiel to my StoryRhymers accordingly :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now