TWGGS OOC - does it ever happen??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wadhurstmum

TWGGS OOC - does it ever happen??

Post by wadhurstmum »

Hi

Hoping some OOC parents can help me! My DD passed 11+ and really wants to go to Weald of Kent, we are OOC, other children in our village have got in previous years so it will be our first choice. I'm putting our local comp as 3rd choice on our form as back up, but am torn over 2nd choice. TGS would not be the right school for my DD, TWGGS however would be. Is it even worth putting TWGGS as 2nd choice, or is it a complete wasted choice being OOC?

Any advice from previous years OOC parents welcomed!!
Dantsw13

Re: TWGGS OOC - does it ever happen??

Post by Dantsw13 »

TWGGS offers 14 governors places to high scoring girls, but I think you still have to be in catchment, just not as close as the original offer.
chimneys

Post by chimneys »

Dantsw13 wrote:TWGGS offers 14 governors places to high scoring girls, but I think you still have to be in catchment, just not as close as the original offer.
Correct.
wadhurstmum

Post by wadhurstmum »

Thanks, so it's a complete waste of time even putting it then, its sort of what I thought, but you never know these admissions criteria have some quirks!!
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

I know this post is too late now for 2016 intake but last year DD wanted her first choice to be TWGGS and we are out of catchment. I spoke to the admissions dept and they advised me to put it down still and go to appeal.. The fact that DS attends skinners gave us a very good chance of being offered TWGGS on appeal. Fortunately DD was happy with being offered TGS so we didn't go through the appeal process. However, i felt confident enough to put TWGGS as first choice on the form and go to appeal with a view of obtaining a place for DD. I would have used the safety element, etc as the reason (as advised by the school).

Additionally the headmistress said at her talk that many parents are in the situation and that they were looking to change the catchment area - this was last year so i don't know if that is going to happen.

Obviously i cannot guarantee that any out of catchment area girls will obtain a place, I'm just sharing my experience
doodles

Post by doodles »

klmh1968 wrote:The fact that DS attends skinners gave us a very good chance of being offered TWGGS on appeal.
Honestly a genuine question but where did this info come from? I have to say I've never been aware of a (sibling?) link for admissions - not that that means it isn't true :D They are two entirely separate schools. Although they do some things jointly and girls come across to Skinners' for some A level subjects and boys go across to TWGGS for others.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

The information came from the admissions lady at TWGGS. It is not an official statement from them but she said that because the schools are so close together i could use that as a reason for my daughter to go there; safety, etc travelling together.

Obviously we never pursued that route as my daughter was happy with TGS but i would have gone to appeal if need be.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Someone this year from Groombridge got it off the waiting list so it is possible! will there be more places available further out at TWGGS once the Weald Annexe opens?
chimneys

Post by chimneys »

NoBigDeal1 wrote:Someone this year from Groombridge got it off the waiting list so it is possible! will there be more places available further out at TWGGS once the Weald Annexe opens?
Not sure Groombridge a good example, part of which is in Speldhurst which is in catchment. If girl got in outside catchment, only just and couldn't be closer to TWGGS unless in T Wells itself!

Think if someone applied from say Orpington, or Dartford, would be different result.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

do not understand your reply! this part of Groombridge is OOC as its in East Sussex & we come under Wealden Council.There is part of Groombridge that is Kent but only 1 person has ever got in on a Governors place
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now