Music test

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

raj16

Music test

Post by raj16 »

Hi can anyone tell me what they ask in music test, or is there any books to help my child with music test??
loobylou

Re: Music test

Post by loobylou »

Which schools are you applying for? I think there are a number of different music tests depending on school/area.
raj16

Post by raj16 »

loobylou wrote:Which schools are you applying for? I think there are a number of different music tests depending on school/area.

Southwest consortium may be in parmiters
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

You probably need to ask the mods to move this to SW Herts area.
I only know about Mill Hill, Latymer and DAO so not in your region.

Moved to Herts - Mod
raj16

Post by raj16 »

loobylou wrote:You probably need to ask the mods to move this to SW Herts area.
I only know about Mill Hill, Latymer and DAO so not in your region.

Moved to Herts - Mod
My child will going to try for mill hill as well
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

For Mill Hill there was an audition. It was really short - I seem to remember the piece could not be longer than 2 minutes. Also there was an aural test, much like in the music grade exams. If your child has done music exams it probably won't feel very different, just a lot shorter. If s/he hasn't it might be worth checking with his/her teacher whether they do any aural practice in their lessons and asking for them to do some so your child feels familiar with the process. For Mill Hill no books/theory etc will be particular useful imo.
Also just warn your child there will be a LOT of children there so s/he doesn't get put off by the amount of competition.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

SW Herts Music test first round is a listening test. Those who get a high enough mark in the first round will then be given an audition slot which will be five minutes playing on one instrument or singing. You cannot play and sing or play two instruments. Both my dds asked to do so and were turned down.

You will need to log on to find out your first round result. No results will be sent out. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Tue May 17, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raj16

Post by raj16 »

Daogroupie wrote:SW Herts Music test first round is a listening test. Those who get a high enough round will then be given an audition slot which will be five minutes playing on one instrument or singing. You cannot play and sing or play two instruments. Both my dds asked to do so and were turned down.

You will need to log on to find out your first round result. No results will be sent out. DG

Than you loobylou & Daogroupie
raj16

Post by raj16 »

raj16 wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:SW Herts Music test first round is a listening test. Those who get a high enough round will then be given an audition slot which will be five minutes playing on one instrument or singing. You cannot play and sing or play two instruments. Both my dds asked to do so and were turned down.

Than you loobylou & Daogroupie
One more question dd is doing sw music on 13 September & same day bucks has priparation test,,,!!!!!

Need a advise on what to do??
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is she doing Bucks in her classroom?

Find out if it is morning or afternoon then email SW Herts and ask for the pm or am slot for the music depending on which slot you have for the bucks.

As there are many on the Bucks Herts border who will be in this position I would hope they have catered for this, DG