Bucks score notified to GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11+pass

Bucks score notified to GS

Post by 11+pass »

Do BCC notify your child's 11+ score to their allocated GS?
Guest55

Re: Bucks score notified to GS

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but it's not part of our record keeping in the department as we've found it tells us nothing.

The more important information is the KS2 test marks but I'm not exactly sure what we'll get this year! I'm guessing we'll get the scaled score and Teacher assesments.
11+pass

Post by 11+pass »

Thank you Guest55
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

My ds is in year 8 at a Bucks grammar - at a recent parents evening his Head of Year spoke to us about him working at the potential indicated by his 11+ score and CATs - so whilst it is obviously different at his school then Guest55's the score was very much looked at and still being referred to after 2 years. (I hasten to add it was the school who brought up the score not me). His school sets targets based on the CATs they administer at the start of year 7.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One of the GS Heads has tracked scores against performance and stated there is no correlation.
11+pass

Post by 11+pass »

Thanks kittymum. That's useful to know however I do feel that the GS should test the DC at the beginning of year 7 and use those results rather than rely on results from a year ago.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Haha I'm 2 years passed giving his 11+ score any thought - just was surprised to have it brought up at parents eve.

Obviously different schools use them in different ways and they all seem to do ok :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A schools performance is measured against KS2 results so that's why most schools use them.

The Fischer Family Trust uses them to produce the probablity of GCSE outcomes - these are better [more accurate] than CATs imho.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

11+pass wrote:Thanks kittymum. That's useful to know however I do feel that the GS should test the DC at the beginning of year 7 and use those results rather than rely on results from a year ago.
His school set targets based on the CATs they administer at the start of year 7. My ds's cats and 11+ score were very equivalent so I don't know if that's why it was also mentioned but it was there in all the tracking info at parents eve.
Amber

Post by Amber »

kittymum wrote:My ds is in year 8 at a Bucks grammar - at a recent parents evening his Head of Year spoke to us about him working at the potential indicated by his 11+ score and CATs - so whilst it is obviously different at his school then Guest55's the score was very much looked at and still being referred to after 2 years. (I hasten to add it was the school who brought up the score not me). His school sets targets based on the CATs they administer at the start of year 7.
Really surprised to hear this. Not in Bucks but I do know from my sons' school that although some of the boys in Y7 are keen on comparing their scores (usually the ones who have the highest!) there is no correlation between those and later results and if anything some of the ones who came on appeal or as in-year admissions outperform the average at GCSE. Given that the difference once standardised and age-adjusted usually comes down to about half a mark here or there at age 10 on a very stressful day, it is hard to understand why anyone would put significance onto it even enough to keep a record.

Again, different area, but at Y10 parents' evening last night the GCSE grade predictions are starting to emerge (first time they have been mentioned) and seem to be based, rather sensibly in my view, on DS2's recent performance.