Girls' Selective Education Event

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gingertomcat

Girls' Selective Education Event

Post by Gingertomcat »

I have seen in the half term edition of the Primary Times, Townley Grammar are hosting a 'Girls' Selective Education Event' for Year 5 parents and girls on Saturday 11th June.
I rang the school and was told CEM and Bexley are attending the event and the Head Teacher will be speaking to parents. I looked on the website and saw the link to book tickets.
Sounds like a good idea!
Daogroupie

Re: Girls' Selective Education Event

Post by Daogroupie »

Gosh. The chance to listen to CM and ask some questions. That would be a great opportunity. DG
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

The Head of Townley came to our primary school, a couple of years ago, to give a talk to parents about the benefits of a grammar school education for girls. It was a very interesting and informative evening.
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

I went last year . The talk was very disappointing.The head and CEM were very anti tutoring/ CEM materials. They claimed if your child was bright and read widely they would pass the 11 plus.

It was interesting seeing the students work though.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ronkevso wrote:I went last year . The talk was very disappointing.The head and CEM were very anti tutoring/ CEM materials. They claimed if your child was bright and read widely they would pass the 11 plus.
Anti-tutoring seems to be an official line in many, if not all, grammar schools. They probably want to avoid over-tutored children who then struggle to keep up. Also, they can't really say anything else if they are a part of the same system as state primaries - that would be equivalent to them concluding in public that primary schools don't do their job to the high enough standard...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

I went last year ...complete waste of time; if I listened to them my son would not have passed....stay away!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would travel a long way to actually hear someone from CEM talk about their test and why it is completely untutorable and all you need to do is read in order to pass it.

I think it is a bit much that you have to give your educational level before you get the password to book tickets!

I also think what they say about their Y7 girls having real ability as opposed to highly paid tutoring is a bit much! DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

Daogroupie wrote:I would travel a long way to actually hear someone from CEM talk about their test and why it is completely untutorable and all you need to do is read in order to pass it.

I think it is a bit much that you have to give your educational level before you get the password to book tickets!

I also think what they say about their Y7 girls having real ability as opposed to highly paid tutoring is a bit much! DG
I agree. Every single girl I know who has gone to Townley, or any other selective, for that matter, has been tutored. All of them with paid tutors. However, it could have been DIY, all that matters is that the child gets the right materials for their test and knowledge levels. We could start the old debate of paid tutoring, but every year we hear of children at the top of their class who do not pass because they followed the advice of not tutoring.
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

The headteacher surprisingly changed opinions this time. He said a little bit of tuition is okay as long as its not extensive coaching. He also recognised that it is useful to do some work over the holiday hence their £225 revision course that does not include verbal and non verbal.

I think the TG head realises that very few parents will allow their child to take the 11+ without preparation so he better jump on the band wagon and make some money out of it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The school themselves offer a £225 revision course. Do tell me more.

How was the CEM rep? What did they have to say? I would love to actually meet a real CEM person. Just to hear them say it is untutorable and no student can remember a single question from the paper. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now