Deposits

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mash

Deposits

Post by mash »

A number of members on this board have mentioned figure of approx £750 as a deposit to confirm your intention of taking up an independent's offer.
The letter I have from MTS for offer of a place states 750 deposit then further on in bold with the wording along the lines of being liable for 1st terms fees if child does not take up place in September.

Does anyone have any experience of when this 'liability' kicks in. Basically I want to know that by commiting the 750 deposit and then subsequently finding a selective state school place comes up via waiting list what the posiiton is i.e. 750 or the full terms fees. I guess it depends on when a waiting list offer comes through but any experience much appreciated.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Hi Mash,

We also had an offer from a school asking for £500 deposit and also stating further on down the terms and conditions that we would also be liable for one terms fees should we turn the place down at a later stage.

I rang the school in question and asked when this would kick in. I was told that if an offer was accepted and then subsequently turned down we would lose the £500. Also, if after accepting the place we then turned it down in the summer term before entry to the school, we would also be liable for the full terms fees. So I guess if you turn down the offer before the start of the summer term, you'll be OK, albeit the loss of your deposit.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

We've also received an offer of a place which says that you will lose the deposit if you decline the place this term, but will be liable for a full term's fees if you decline it after the 12 April.

I suppose this makes financial sense if the school can't fill the place in time for September - but it seems a little unfair if they can!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why would that bother them? Remember they are businesses - this is easy money for them!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now