Which grammars apart from Graveney to apply for?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCLC

Which grammars apart from Graveney to apply for?

Post by MCLC »

Hi all,

I am looking at applying to Graveney for DD (year 4). We live in Wandsworth - SW18 so not in catchment. I realise the only way to get a place will be to gain a high score in the Wandsworth test. It doesn't hurt to try so we shall give it a go.

Are there any others that make sense? We are 10 mins from Clapham Junction station if that helps.

many thanks.
tiffinboys

Re: Which grammars apart from Graveney to apply for?

Post by tiffinboys »

For list of schools, see 11 plus region on this page.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select the area upto which your DD could easily travel. Then check the admissions arrangement for the schools there. Select the schools which offer places on the basis of higher scores without catchment, such as grammar schools in Sutton or Barnet.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

If considering girls' schools in Sutton, please bear in mind that Nonsuch have a partial catchment area admissions policy:
5.2.3.Eighty-five places on the basis of score in the entrance tests in order of highest score, irrespective of home address.

5.2.4. Up to 110 places linked to our catchment area circle. This will be in order of highest score to those whose permanent place of residence on 31 October 2016 (the deadline for submission of the Common Application Form) is 5.25 km or less from the front door of Nonsuch measured in a straight line.(....)

5.2.5. 15 ring-fenced places in order of highest score to those whose permanent place of residence on the closing date for submitting the Common Application Form within the Pan-London Co-ordinated Secondary Admissions Scheme is such that they pay/would pay their Council Tax to the London Borough of Sutton.
Wallington High School for Girls also have a catchment area:
Displayed by the red circle, our main catchment area is a 6.7km radius circle centred on our school's front door - as described in our Admissions Policy - paragraph 4.4.4.

Displayed by the blue circle, our second catchment area is a 6km radius circle centred on the crossroads by St Philomena's School in Carshalton, known locally as the Windsor Castle crossroads - as described in our Admissions Policy - paragraph 4.4.5.
Details of both can be found on the respective schools' websites.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thank you both. Realistically do children travel to these schools from where we are? I looked at the Henrietta Barnet School and it was giving the journey time at over an hour :( . It involved a lot of changing trains/tubes etc too.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

MCLC wrote:Thank you both. Realistically do children travel to these schools from where we are? I looked at the Henrietta Barnet School and it was giving the journey time at over an hour :( . It involved a lot of changing trains/tubes etc too.
Some parents seem to be quite happy with long/complicated journeys to school and you would have probably seen a few posts discussing various travel arrangements. Having said that, personally I would not want my child to start their school day with an awkward journey, with a risk of trains/tubes etc. running late (schools don't usually show any sympathy for lateness caused by public transport issues). A travel time of over an hour, with an occasional hiccup could easily mean 2.5 -3 hours a day travelling back and forth. Would your want your DD to do it, especially bearing in mind-school activities and homework that needs to be done?

The ease of a journey to school was one of our main criteria when choosing a school. I wouldn't rely too much on whether there are other children that do a particular journey, but would try to figure out what would be the best setup for my DC. The fact that there are a number of children having to put up with a lengthy and tiring commute does not make it the most sensible option, in my opinion anyway. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Depending on where exactly OP lives, can try train from Clapham Junction to Cheam for Nonsuch or to Wallington (coupled with short walk or bus ride) for Wallington High. Both schools have 185 open places between them.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Hi all,

Thanks again for all of your help.

tiffinboys - we live about 10 mins walk from Clapham Junction station.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

tiffinboys wrote:Depending on where exactly OP lives, can try train from Clapham Junction to Cheam for Nonsuch or to Wallington (coupled with short walk or bus ride) for Wallington High. Both schools have 185 open places between them.
Yes, those journeys would be fine; I was only replying to the OP's question about a possibly tricky journey to Henrietta Barnett school (and I have no idea what that journey would involve, so went entirely on what the OP mentioned).

As for Wallington High School for Girls, looking at the map of their official catchment area on the school's website, I think a chance of getting in from Clapham is very slim; their catchment reaches only up to Mitcham/Wimbledon so Clapham is likely to be too far. Nevertheless, it would not do any harm to ring the school and ask if they have ever had any girls coming in from outside of the official catchment. The map of the catchment area is here: http://www.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.uk/Catchment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding Nonsuch, they offer up to 85 places to the highest-scoring candidates irrespective of their home address and the rest is a mix of a catchment area with a 3.28m/5.25km radius and high scorers who pay council tax to Sutton. See Admissions 2017 document here: http://www.nonsuchschool.org/uploads/as ... 7.docx.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
The distance from the OP's SW18 to Nonsuch if probably around 8 miles, so the OP's DD would be able to get in if her exam result ranked in the top 85 girls. NB. I assume the girls commuting to Nonsuch from Hounslow and surrounding areas must have been the top-tier scorers.

According to Sutton's secondary school transfer booklet, last year Nonsuch and Wallington Girl's had 210 places each, so 420 places available in total. Last year's booklet with info about all Sutton's secondary schools can be downloaded here: https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/fil ... oklet_2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

100 of the places at Wally Girls are given on score alone so catchment doesn't come into it for those places.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Moon unit wrote:100 of the places at Wally Girls are given on score alone so catchment doesn't come into it for those places.
Edit: I've deleted my original comment in this post as I got Nonsuch mixed up with Wally Girls'. Moon unit is right and thank goodness for TiffinBoys' sharp eye.
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.