Non Verbal Books ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DonnaL

Non Verbal Books ?

Post by DonnaL »

I wonder if you can help me.

My 10 year old daughter will be sitting the Kent test on 8th Sept 2016.

She has completed her ‘Bond Non Verbal Book 1 (10-11) years’. I’m looking to purchase more books to add to the collection! but, not entirely sure which one.

- Bond Non Verbal Book 2 (10-11 years) Is Book 2 generally harder ?
- Bond Non Verbal Book 1 (11-12 years)

I will also get the CGP Non Verbal book too, as she is sitting the Bexley test (I already have the CQP English, Verbal, Maths & 3D Spatial).

She has also completed a GL assessment paper in non-verbal and found it much harder than the Bond books, so, maybe the Bond non-verbal books are too easy ?

Over the summer holidays she will be working on the GL tests.

Many thanks in advance.
monochromecat

Re: Non Verbal Books ?

Post by monochromecat »

My daughter said that the GL papers generally were closest to the Kent test. I would focus on them.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Re. Bond Book 2 - they are usually a little bit harder, but not much. You could take your DD to WHSmith to have a look and she will tell you what she thinks. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD found that the different numbered books were not any easier or harder, just different questions. DD felt the Letts ten minute tests helped her to build up her speed and timing. They worked equally for Kent and Bexley despite those areas having different exam providers. We never did find anything dedicated for Kent for the spatial reasoning - anything we did get was gleaned from free samples and the odd thing thrown into the NVR Letts which did do some cubes but not a huge amount. Fortunately for DD it was enough.
DonnaL

Post by DonnaL »

Many thanks for your help.
northkentparent

Post by northkentparent »

DonnaL wrote:I wonder if you can help me.

My 10 year old daughter will be sitting the Kent test on 8th Sept 2016.

She has completed her ‘Bond Non Verbal Book 1 (10-11) years’. I’m looking to purchase more books to add to the collection! but, not entirely sure which one.

- Bond Non Verbal Book 2 (10-11 years) Is Book 2 generally harder ?
- Bond Non Verbal Book 1 (11-12 years)

I will also get the CGP Non Verbal book too, as she is sitting the Bexley test (I already have the CQP English, Verbal, Maths & 3D Spatial).

She has also completed a GL assessment paper in non-verbal and found it much harder than the Bond books, so, maybe the Bond non-verbal books are too easy ?

Over the summer holidays she will be working on the GL tests.

Many thanks in advance.

For NVR I would stick to the GL assessment papers- in 2014 and 2015 my children noted that the structure of questions in the Kent Test was very similar to the structure in sample papers (though I guess things could change in the future). I also would stress that I found some of these papers harder than others- so for example the NVR Test sample paper 1 was so hard that I didn't make them sit it (so not to knock their confidence). I tried to make the process as fun (!!!) as possible and often took the paper at the same time as them (under test conditions)- which also gave me a full understanding/appreciation of the tricky questions- and made the kids feel that they weren't alone ploughing away (if that makes any sense?).

For my son in 2015, the average scores he was getting in the GL sample papers (across both NVR and VR) was similar to the percentage raw score he got in the Kent Test itself. In 2014, my daughter's score in the Kent Test was considerably higher than her average NVR and VR score. Obviously with the spatial tests in the reasoning paper I'm not comparing exactly like for like. The 2 spatial sections last year seemed quite tricky- with one involving (from feedback from son) general shape nets being especially tricky.....and I suspect this is why there was a slight dip in the % pass grade last year (the pass mark for the reasoning paper for a child aged 10yrs and 1 month on the day of the exam was roughly 41%....33/80).

I can provide more info (if rqd) on GL scores vis-à-vis the Kent Test itself- just PM me.