Help needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Vinu

Help needed

Post by Vinu »

Hello All ,
I really need feedback from parents who did 11plus tution from susan daughtrey or hatch end recently for CEM style as i need feedback for these two before i enroll my child for next year 5 course i am thinking of QE barnet and SW herts 11 plus .
I am not thinking of doing home tutoring because that is not working out for us.
But yes i will not mind doing checking work for tution and work with them in partnership
But am very unsure which one to go for .

Many Thanks in advance
thisisnuts

Re: Help needed

Post by thisisnuts »

Hi Vinu

Unfortunately, with SW Herts move to CEM Verbal Reasoning, a course with CEM focus won't be the best prep for QE (and vice versa).

Both use GL maths - the only difference being short answer vs multi-choice, but the although the CEM VR is much more like an English paper than old-style VR, you will still need to do some additional work for the QE English paper.

Are any of the tuition centres offering to cover both styles of exam?
Vinu

Post by Vinu »

Thanks for reply , both the above tution do offer that i have confirmed , but don't have any feedback so just don't want to go ahead and enroll him.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Can't help you with that I'm afraid.

I know that the Hatch End one had a good reputation for SW Herts pre-CEM (probably because they, like many others, had the VR papers that the test was based on). Don't know anyone who used them last year.

I understand that you don't want to go DIY, we tutored.as well, but is there any reason you're keen on signing up for a year long commitment rather than using a private tutor.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Just a reminder of the forum rules on commenting about tutors and tuition centres, folks.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible
- we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

Our youngest daughter is with Hatch End atm and we've been impressed with the preparation.
She has a sibling place at WGSG but will sit the exam anyhow, as her older sisters both did the same. I feel, despite the larger group size, that Hatch End 11 plus has done a better job of preparing her for the SWHC 11+ exam than the tutor we used for our older two did. She's a bright kid though, and the most likely of our three girls to get an academic place off her own bat.
We wouldn't consider her sitting for HB.
It's probably worth noting that parents are expected to oversee quite a bit of homework and do a lot of marking.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So how does it work then with parents having to do the marking? The marking is normally where the teaching goes on, especially in CEM. Do they give you the paper and the answers to sit and mark at home? Or do they sit in the study centre and mark at home?

Do they write their own CEM materials or do you have to buy them? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

K1w1mum wrote:Our youngest daughter is with Hatch End atm and we've been impressed with the preparation.
She has a sibling place at WGSG but will sit the exam anyhow, as her older sisters both did the same. I feel, despite the larger group size, that Hatch End 11 plus has done a better job of preparing her for the SWHC 11+ exam than the tutor we used for our older two did. She's a bright kid though, and the most likely of our three girls to get an academic place off her own bat.
We wouldn't consider her sitting for HB.
It's probably worth noting that parents are expected to oversee quite a bit of homework and do a lot of marking.
I have no personal experience of institutional (nor even outsider of any description) tutoring, so this may be the norm? but reading that last sentence caused the phrase 'keeping a dog and barking yourself' to pop into my mind for some reason :? .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The norm is you pay tutors to teach your students. In my experience teaching takes place in feedback sessions after students have completed work.

If the marking is going on at home then the feedback is not being done in class and so when is the learning taking place?

If parents are being given the answers to enable them to mark at home then what are they actually paying for? Especially if the answers are to books that can be bought in Smiths?

Is teaching done first and then homework set and then the parents are given the answers to mark the homework?

It seems that it makes parents feel that progress is being made if lots of homework is being set. But if the parents are marking the homework themselves then why would they not just go and buy the books and do the whole thing themselves? DG
minalpat78

Post by minalpat78 »

Hi, my son went to Hatch end last year and we would mark the work and then they would go over it in the class the following week with new work also as the classes were an hour and a half.

I had issues with my son becoming quite detached from studying and then not wanting to do it and I emailed Chris and that Saturday her son who is one of the teachers there had a down to earth boy to boy chat about the 11+ and reasons for doing it - which actually did the job....

My son loved going and still wishes to go back for his Saturday afternoon sessions....