Kendrick from out of catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mpsv

Kendrick from out of catchment

Post by mpsv »

Hello mums ,

I live out of reading no where in the catchment but I am tempted to try Kendrick for one reason as professionally moving into reading would be ideal for both of us. My dd will be in year 5 this September so moving this year is not an option as I feel it can disturb her 11 plus preparation . Not sure if I can move in Jan while she is year 6 . My question is have anybody moved into reading and be able to secure a place. When should I move. We might rent initially before buying a house . Does this sound as an option. Am I building towers in air ? In case she doesn't make it to grammar I would like her to go to abbey school of reading or to an excellent private school.
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick from out of catchment

Post by Tinkers »

Youll need to be catchment at the time of applying for the test (may/June time in year 5) to be counted as being in catchment. Otherwise you realistically have no chance of a place.
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

Moving in Jan of year 6 will be too late.

Current admission policies are here: http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/admi ... -policies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Tinkers says, you'll need to be in catchment by the time of registering for the test (May / June 2017) to realistically get a place should your daughter achieve a high qualifying score. No one outside of catchment has got in since the catchment was introduced I believe, you can no longer move into the catchment after taking the test (well, obviously you can but it won't count for Kendrick admission purposes!)

I don't know how strict Reading Borough Council are in terms of renting vs owning for catchment purposes, you should check with them.
mpsv

Post by mpsv »

Thanks for your reply .
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

mpsv wrote:Hello mums ,

In case she doesn't make it to grammar I would like her to go to abbey school of reading or to an excellent private school.
Abbey school is a private school, or did you mean Abbey or another excellent private school? Reading has several private schools in commutable distance - Queen Anne's in Caversham, Leighton Park plus the Abbey are all in Reading itself.

The living in catchment at time of entry is crucial for Kendrick. I wouldn't have thought a house move in itself would have an insurmountable effect on 11+ prep.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'm not sure how picky RBC are about people in rented homes, but I do know they take a dim view of those 'in catchment' that then move out soon after allocations day and will investigate. One family were told to move back into catchment or else have the place withdrawn (not for Kendrick but for a primary school).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now