A level Geography v RS

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DenDe

A level Geography v RS

Post by DenDe »

Dd had chosen A levels for September. These were Biology, chemistry, geography and RS. However, she is considering doing a chemistry degree and now feels A level maths would be a sensible choice. The difficulty now is whether to drop geography or RS. She enjoys both subjects equally and is equally as good in both subjects.

Obviously she needs to make the decision quickly as choices have already been submitted.

Advice would be gratefully received please
Guest55

Re: A level Geography v RS

Post by Guest55 »

Maths is a very sensible choice -

I don't think it will matter which she drops - has she read the specifications to see exactly what each course covers?
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

No she hasn't read the specs . That's a very good idea though, thank you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I posted similar last year, I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 57&t=40480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will also pm you when I get a chance
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

Geography has the potential to be more "scientific" - lots of chemistry overlap with topics like geology, climate, volcanoes etc plus the impact of the chemical industry on human geography, environment etc.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Definitely get the specifications from the 2 departments involved, and speak to the teachers- I learned so much last year and every school was different in their approach- it made it clear which courses were more suitable, and they switched places depending on which school.

I want to also say that if she is doing all those science maths subjects, RE might be better to add breadth. Ethics is very important in science these days.
KB

Post by KB »

Yes do check the specifications and also the results from each department and the experience of the staff.
Either subject will be an 'extra' so which one she chooses is unlikely to matter in terms of UCAS.
For at least one of the RS boards the structure of the course is quite 'broad' ( could be described as 'vague') so knowing how well you are going to do in the exam can be unpredictable.
However, having a literate subject could be a break from facts and figures ( in very basic terms!)
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Thank you for your advice everyone. Dd has decided to drop geography so will be doing chem, biology, maths and RS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now