IAP Member - same as previous appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

IAP Member - same as previous appeal?

Post by heartmum »

Having received paperwork for DCs appeal, I note that one of the IAP members is the same as in a previous appeal, one I am contesting through other channels. Would there be a conflict of interest with this panel member being on this new panel? Should I request a change of panel member prior to the appeal or just bring this as a point of concern at the time of the appeal?
Heartmum x x x
ToadMum

Re: IAP Member - same as previous appeal?

Post by ToadMum »

heartmum wrote:Having received paperwork for DCs appeal, I note that one of the IAP members is the same as in a previous appeal, one I am contesting through other channels. Would there be a conflict of interest with this panel member being on this new panel? Should I request a change of panel member prior to the appeal or just bring this as a point of concern at the time of the appeal?
Appeal panel members are volunteers (at least, they are in our area) and there are only so many of them to go round, especially at this time of the year. At a recent training session (for my sins, I shall be one soon :) ), we were told that most complaints are dealt with entirely by the County Hall staff and the panel members concerned probably wouldn't ever know if one had been made. Unless your complaint was directed specifically at that particular panel member?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Personally, I'd want a 'fresh' panel.

If the previous appeal has gone further then panel members will probably have been contacted if there is any dispute about the notes - that certainly happened in cases I'm aware of.
SSSMM

Post by SSSMM »

In 10 years I am only aware of one complaint on a panel hearing I sat on (not upheld) and was only told this a year after by the clerk when we met up for another set of appeals. If there were anymore I was never informed or asked for more details. The appeal panels notes are destroyed after the appeals and only the clerks notes are kept which would be the only ones that would be relevant so any appeal panel member would not really remember individual cases a few weeks afterwards. However I do agree with Guest55 that a fresh panel may be appropriate in this case as although the panel member may not be aware of a complaint they will certainly remember the case when reviewing the evidence and may be swayed for a rejection having come to that conclusion previously.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

I'd want a fresh panel. I wonder how this works? If they have to have the same panel for Stage 1 (group) and Stage 2 (individual), and they agree to change the panel, it opens up the possibility of other cases raising conflict when the new members are announced. Under the old system Stages 1 and 2 were not split.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Bumblebeez wrote:I'd want a fresh panel. I wonder how this works? If they have to have the same panel for Stage 1 (group) and Stage 2 (individual), and they agree to change the panel, it opens up the possibility of other cases raising conflict when the new members are announced. Under the old system Stages 1 and 2 were not split.
The panel member would be aware, has been spoken to regarding this matter. However this is the only panel member from my previous appeals, the other two I have not seen before - would I need to contact Bucks and request this one particular panel member being replaced. I am aware (as ToadMum mentioned) that there are not loads of people (who I know kindly give up their time for appeals) available, in which case that would already remove 6 potential panel members and two clerks from the pool :roll: very complicated but matter sensitive and still ongoing! So to get three completely unconnected panel members (I have two appeals - awaiting details on the second) may be quite hard!
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote:Having received paperwork for DCs appeal, I note that one of the IAP members is the same as in a previous appeal, one I am contesting through other channels. Would there be a conflict of interest with this panel member being on this new panel? Should I request a change of panel member prior to the appeal or just bring this as a point of concern at the time of the appeal?
You wouldn't normally be able to object to a panel member whom you've come across at a previous hearing.

However, if there is an issue with regard to the previous appeal, and this involves the panel member in question, I think you should notify the clerk/administrators as soon as possible, and see what they say. Tell them who is currently dealing with the outstanding matter.

Don't wait until the hearing - the whole point of your being sent the names of IAP members in advance is so that there is time to consider any concerns.
Etienne
able2

Post by able2 »

I would also notify the appeal team as soon as possible as there could be an implication for others awaiting to have their appeals heard, if a new panel member is required
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thank you all for your helpful advice :) I have sent an email to the Appeals team, awaiting reply.
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Response received from the appeal team ... 'do not consider that there is a conflict but if you are unhappy about *** hearing the current appeal they can reschedule the appeal ... however it would not be till September'.

I don't think it is fair for my DC to start another year at current school not knowing where she is going AGAIN ... waiting, waiting for an outcome. Will just have to go with allocated panel, I am sure the panel member will act in a professional manner.
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now