MORE HOUSE SCHOOL/ FRANCIS HOLLAND

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

picasso

MORE HOUSE SCHOOL/ FRANCIS HOLLAND

Post by picasso »

Have been following the other threads with great interest, especially comments about South Hamsptead High and Channing. Have been offered places at both plus also Francis Holland and More House. We will be turning down South Hamsptead and Channing.

We are very keen on More House as it is a relatively small school and comes across as a caring and nurturing place. Also great for the Arts and Music. Difficult to choose between More House and Francis Holland (Clarence Gate), although I feel that More House would suit our Dd better. Does anyone have daughters at these schools or know anyone who goes there, any info would be greatly appreciated.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

We are also trying to make a similar decision.

WE are trying to decide between Francis Holland CG and another school. Both are local, but I am finding it very difficult to come to any conclusions. Any help and opinions would be gratefully received.
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

Hello Picasso,

The general feeling seems to be that Clarence Gate is of a much higher standard all round than More House. People seem to like the atmosphere atMore House, and I am sure it is good but there is no comparison in terms of academics, organisation, sports, arts, music. (although the arts and music are very good, CG's are meant to be better. The site of Clarence Gate is pretty o.k for a central school and they have recently expanded the size of the building by buying another one, but not extended the number of pupils so more space. I know a few people on the waiting list for Clarence Gate and hanging on for it, but More House seemed to tell lots of people that they were in before Christmas as long as they got a reasonable mark in the exam after Christmas. ..You need a much lower mark to get into More House and they tend to have late places too. They have far fewer applicants for MH than CG. Don't know if any of this helps I know which one I would go for, if i had to travel to both. The final thing Iknow about MH (which is actually what put us off) is that while small classes (very) sound great,we felt that at this age girls need a bigger pool to draw their friends from.I suppose it also depends on where you live.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Thanks for this LondonGirl.

Every school has it pros and cons. I agree with you with regards to your points on both schools. However, whilst I really like Francis Holland CG I just wonder whether More House (although not in the same league academically) as some of the other girls schools is a little more nurturing. I suppose it really depends on your child as to what school you would ultimately go for.

I've always been a little sceptical of league table results and so forth as most of the schools that are high up in the league tables are very very selective. It would be very hard for them not to do well when considering the high calibre girls that they are taking. Something has to be said about schools that do well and get results anyway, even when their intake is across the board.
beenherebeforebutnoeasier

Post by beenherebeforebutnoeasier »

I do recognise the appeal of the small but all these schools are incredibly nuturing compared to much of the education available in this country and there is also an argument that too much nurturing means you can't cope with the real world once you inevitably reach it. Remember it's a school for five or even seven years and your child will grow up hugely in the next few months, let alone years.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Thanks everyone for your invaluable advice..don't know what I would have done without this great site. We have decided on Francis Holland CG.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

We are still not decided. It is tricky.I think that people's arguments on this site have been very helpful indeed, and we probably will opt for Francis Holland CG. Our other option is Queens College. It is very different from FHS, and a bit smaller. It is a similar journey. It seems to be very good at paying attention to the individual. It is much more 'funky' - no uniform, not much sport. Nice art. Lots of plays and musicals. No orchestra i think. Do these things matter ? It's attention to detail seems quite a draw - but I suspect that 'beenherebeforebutnoeasier' s point is a good one.

Oh, I don't know. It is late in the week and we are still going to and fro.

Any further comments from anyone ?
picasso

Post by picasso »

but I suspect that 'beenherebeforebutnoeasier' s point is a good one.
It is, and it more or less helped us make our minds up. It is difficult to choose between schools because at the end of the day most are good. Francis Holland just seems to have that little bit of an edge; offering sports, music, arts and very good results academically. Also seems to be quite a cohesive school with respect to friendships that are made.

It is much more 'funky' - no uniform, not much sport. Nice art. Lots of plays and musicals. No orchestra i think. Do these things matter ?
It depends on your child. I find with my DD's that discipline works well. Both my Dd's are artistic and musical and Francis Holland is great at both whilst also looking after the academic side of things as well. There's a nice feel about the school looking after the whole child rather than just a small part. Personally I like uniform.. I think having to decide what to wear in the morning would be disastrous in my house ,also stops girls from feeling left out if they are not in with the latest fashion and of course there is the safety aspect when on school trips. I think that it is only in the first three years at FH that uniform is worn and then a more relaxed attitude is taken.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

We are just about there with our decision. I think you are right - FHS seems to behave like a bigger school; they don't seem to let their size or location prevent them from doing anything.

I am interested that you think it is cohesive for friendships - I don't really have much insight into the girls there.

Music and Art are important factors in this household too ... and high expectations.

Oddly I don't mind about uniform at all, but my daughter certainly thinks it is helpful. She says she feels nice and secure, and part of a team in uniform.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

Well, we are going for Francis Holland Clarence Gate. We hope it will work for our girl.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now