Question for sept 2016 CHG starters

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmama

Question for sept 2016 CHG starters

Post by tiredmama »

As some of you will know, my dd got a late offer for CHG. I wonder what information have we missed out on so far? We've got a pile of data forms, is that what everyone else have had so far? Feel free to pm if you wish.
Thank you.
tiredmama

Re: Question for sept 2016 CHG starters

Post by tiredmama »

Mods can delete this as I got my answer now.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi tiredmama (and here's hoping Hedgehog this applies to you soon as well):

I think you've been updated but just to add two bits of information I hadn't fully absorbed, which I have been reliably informed about over half-term.

1) CHGs will have another parent's evening/ briefing associated with moving up day (I'm not clear whether it's on the 29th or 30th of June) but we'll be getting more information then and it will also include meeting people from your area who will be going (so that children know friendly faces for the commute/ people can discuss car sharing/ etc...) and we should find out what house our child is in (although if they have moving up day - ?30th of June before our meeting - they'll know first).

2) Clive Marks will be giving every parent a voucher (not sure if a discount percentage or a flat amount) at the meeting.

We've found it very helpful to talk to some students already at CHGs - helped answer a lot of questions. including...

3) don't buy the soccer/ hockey boots right away (especially if like small fry you change shoe size every 6 - 10 weeks) - in some cases they won't be needed until Summer term. Wait until you know your schedule/ talk to PE teacher. You won't get in trouble for wrong shoes but apparently can for wrong PE clothing (skort/ socks/ games shirt/ track suit/ etc...)

4) the PE 'base layer' isn't essential... the mouthguard and shin pads are.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Thank you very much OT. As far as I am aware parents' evening is on the 29th and induction/moving up day is on the 30th which is the same across all Bham schools I believe?

I have also found out that Green Bus drivers will pick up yr6 children for free on induction day. I am planning on letting dd go by bus just so she has experience should she ever need to catch it ( we are planning on taking her by car in Sept between myself and hubby we should manage).

Good luck to Hedgehog! 8)
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Just was saying goodnight to small fry (as in encouraging her to put down her book and get some sleep - she really can't believe it was 9 p.m.)....anyway she agrees with you tiredmama - 29th June is parent meeting with moving up day on the 30th.

Green bus route is a bit of a journey for us - so we're going by public transport and will invest in a bus pass. Our logic being that it does give small fry flexibility to stay after school if needed - for clubs/ library/ etc... However if the route were more convenient for us I would be tempted by the idea of a dedicated school bus. As others have posted (in case this last sentence is causing worry) and recent chats with a CHG student in our area confirmed - my understanding is that many of the buses going by CHGs/ CHBs are virtually school buses at certain times of day - so children using these are by no means travelling on their own.

JUST to ADD ONCE AGAIN...JGOOD LUCK HEDGEHOG!!!!! and all those waiting for good news.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Local primary had an evening for parents of new starters. All kids came discussing what forms they will be in and the fun activities they will be doing. Dd came home in low spirits as she felt a bit left out being the only one going chg :roll:

A reassuring chat is due me thinks :mrgreen:
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

my son is yr7 at CHB and there are always CHB/G on the public bus he gets off. A whole load of them travel on the 1st bus to Acocks green, then he changes buses and there are still some boys/girls from the schools on the 2nd bus.

I sometimes meet him at the bus stop if he has to get somewhere quickly like football practice and there are children getting off every bus that comes by.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now