Will the new NC push up the level of the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
steppemum

Will the new NC push up the level of the 11+?

Post by steppemum »

Having just been through year 6, and as I am a governor so I have heard all the talk about new National Curriculum levels etc, I have been wondering whether it will have a knock on effect on 11+.

So, for example, if work that used to be standard in year 6 is now done in year 5, does that mean that 11+ will begin to have more in it of a higher level, in order to distinguish the brighter kids?

On the other hand, it appears to be that the schools are much less likely to push a child ahead into next year's curriculum, but rather they will extend them sideways to gather depth rather than introduce the next level.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

I am curious, as I DIYed my ds and dd, and now I am helping my friend's dd, as mum's English is poor, and I have another younger dd too. It occurred to me that the level I pitched it at for my dd may no longer be right.
steppemum

Re: Will the new NC push up the level of the 11+?

Post by steppemum »

Hi, I'm raising this again, to see if anyone has heard anything about this.
As I said in my last post I have prepared my ds, my dd, and now 2 other girls through 11+ prep. I am familiar with what needs to be covered and what has been in mock papers etc.

My youngest dd is in year 4 and I have been helping in her class. Some of the stuff that we did in 11+ prep, she is doing now in class. If you take the CPG books and look at the pages on geometry, shape, area, co-ordinates etc. She is doing all of that in year 4. (and more)

So this really raises the question, is the 11+ going to get harder? Is there going to need to be more material in the exam so that there are newer/harder topics? Will they need to reprint all the books with more in??

I wonder what you think?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Are the school following the National curriculum? Level 6 material is certainly not in Year 5 ....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 220714.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First quadrant co-ordinates have only shifted back one year .. they should only be looking at the Year 4 objectives in the above document.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I didn't say level 6 was in year 5. I said that what used to be done in year 6 is now being done in year 5. Much of the stuff we prep for 11+ used to be covered in year 5 and year 6. If it is now covered in years 4 and 5, then they have to up the level of the 11+ surely?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, that just isn't true - I've looked in detail at both the old and the new. Some things stayed the same, some have gone and some have actually moved up a year.

Here are a couple of the documents you can find on the internet to see the detail:

http://www.mathematicshed.com/uploads/1 ... _proof.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://curriculum2014.files.wordpress. ... year-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since the level expected at the end of Year 6 is still 'old 4b' = 'new 100' then I see no reason why the 11+ will change.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now