Out of County - Are there breaks between the papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
olucares

Out of County - Are there breaks between the papers?

Post by olucares »

Can someone help please, I would like to know roughly how long the exam takes on the day i.e. will it be 3 hours at a stretch or will there be considerable breaks in between, I am trying to work out approximate finish times, will they be out by 2pm? Can anyone share their experiences please?

Thanks
mumsdarling2

Re: Out of County - Are there breaks between the papers?

Post by mumsdarling2 »

If you register for the Kent exam, you will get a letter from Kent council giving you details regarding the pick up and drop off time. So you will be able to calculate how long the whole process will take. From what I remember, last year DS had tests in this order: two subjects together with no break, a short break afterwards, the other two subjects together with no break, a longish break during which they had their snack and finally the writing task. I no longer have the letter to confirm the timings but we did go to the exam centre well before 9am and picked up DS sometime around 1 pm.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If you are in-county you take it at the school and it all part of the school day. If out of county if things go smoothly they will be out by 2pm. At the centre our DD went to it wasn't very organised and there were significant delays so despite having turned up prior to time indicated on the sheet they over-ran by about 50 minutes, I think even that took us to before 2pm but I can't remember for certain. At release time they were sending children out one by one and our DD was about tenth out from her room (the centre utilising a numer of large rooms and halls) but there were others who had to hang around long after we did. The last thing you want to do is give pressure to your child and have them worrying about getting out by a certain time to do something else as otherwise they won't be concentrating on the exam. DH wanted to watch a football match on that day and take DD as a reward, he was planning on encouraging our daughter to try and manouvere herself out in time but we just didn't mention it and ended up going for lunch as she was ravenous.
olucares

Post by olucares »

Thanks for your responses - very useful.