How many nc levels do kids increase on average year 5

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Schoolsearch

How many nc levels do kids increase on average year 5

Post by Schoolsearch »

Hi all,

First time poster so pls be gentle! Ds is just coming to the end of year 4 and we're looking at independent schools in SW London that are v competitive for entry.

I know the nc levels don't officially exist any more but some of the school sites specific they expect applicants to be level 5.

I just wanted to check - does anyone have an idea of how much a child is expected to go up in years 5 and 6? Ds is at a private school but it's quite an easy going one, it's not really a hot house but all the schools around here are ridiculously oversubscribed.

His class teacher says he is a level 5c for English and about a level 4B for Maths. Does anyone have an idea how much I can expect him to improve and whether we should get a tutor for entrance exams?

Thankyou!
Guest55

Re: How many nc levels do kids increase on average year 5

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome!

I'm sorry to report that no school should be using NC levels any more - they don't fit with the new NC.

However, in the past a student was 'expected' to progress by a level every two years - about 30% of students made 'better than expected' progress.
Schoolsearch

Post by Schoolsearch »

Thanks so much for this - I kind of knew that but it's weird that both ds's school use them on school reports etc and some of the secondary's we are looking at are saying on their websites they expect students to be level 5.

Do you know if there is another way to assess how well your child is doing? I thought he sounded like he was doing fine, based on what I understand but lots of ds's friends who are doing as well or better are tutoring so now I'm thinking perhaps we need to do it too.

Ds has some health issues which mean he is busy with physio during the week too so I don't want to tutor unless it's really necessary but have genuinely no idea whether he needs it or not. His school is dead against tutoring full stop so they're not much help!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Schoolsearch wrote:Thanks so much for this - I kind of knew that but it's weird that both ds's school use them on school reports etc and some of the secondary's we are looking at are saying on their websites they expect students to be level 5.
Based on the last few years of children from our primary getting into grammars, I think you'd really want to be at the old level 5 at the end of year 5. I know that grammar schools usually tell parents otherwise, but it's the level of the other candidates that sets a benchmark for the exam success, not the expectations expressed by the schools.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools are using a system based on the year group expectations of the new NC.

A description of 'above or well above Year 4 expectations' is the sort of assessment you should see.

I hope neither school is anticipating an Ofsted inspection as they will expect to see a new system fully in place by now.
Schoolsearch

Post by Schoolsearch »

Thanks all that's really helpful!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Schoolsearch wrote:Hi all,

First time poster so pls be gentle! Ds is just coming to the end of year 4 and we're looking at independent schools in SW London that are v competitive for entry.

I know the nc levels don't officially exist any more but some of the school sites specific they expect applicants to be level 5.

I just wanted to check - does anyone have an idea of how much a child is expected to go up in years 5 and 6? Ds is at a private school but it's quite an easy going one, it's not really a hot house but all the schools around here are ridiculously oversubscribed.

His class teacher says he is a level 5c for English and about a level 4B for Maths. Does anyone have an idea how much I can expect him to improve and whether we should get a tutor for entrance exams?

Thankyou!
Your child should progress by two part levels every year so by the end of year 5 they should be 5a for English and 5c for maths.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:

Thankyou!
Your child should progress by two part levels every year so by the end of year 5 they should be 5a for English and 5c for maths.

Pinkrabbit , as G55 has already said, levels and sub levels are no longer used. Schools differ in what they call the new grading, but something like exceeding expectations good
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

yoyo123 wrote:
pinkrabbit38 wrote:

Thankyou!

Pinkrabbit , as G55 has already said, levels and sub levels are no longer used. Schools differ in what they call the new grading, but something like exceeding expectations good
Yes I know that but the op wanted to know if their child is at a level 5/the right level for 11+, so just saying the NC levels don't exist any more isn't very helpful.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

That's why I suggested "exceeding expectations". The new system is a minefield, ours has changed twice this year.