Induction day - how did it go?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiredmama

Induction day - how did it go?

Post by tiredmama »

How did your dear children find it today? Please, mention which school :)
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
Noodles

Re: Induction day - how did it go?

Post by Noodles »

My dd had a great day at Camp Hill, came home wishing she didn't have to wait until September to go back. How did your dd find it?
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

She enjoyed drama, art and history. Lunchtime was very busy she said, food was ok and desert was delicious. She is in "yellow" house, she told me the name but I can't remember.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

DD loved her day at FW.

Yesterday morning she didn't want to go and couldn't eat her breakfast.

The cookies were really sickly and the jelly wasn't very nice :?

I think they did Science, Geography and English and then had a House rounders tournament.

They have also been given their 'Five Ways Challenge' to complete over the summer.

When we got there for the Head's speech and afternoon tea, DD barely said 2 words to us, far too busy chatting with her new friends and busy exchanging phone numbers :lol:

I think the day has helped ease her worries enormously about heading off to a new school, she was really excited :D
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Tale of two halves. This time last year it was boiling hot and it was organised chaos outside of QMHS. How much of the interregnum since has been spent nervously waiting for pizza delivery marketing people and posties!! BTW don't know why that word (interregnum) suddenly came back into my mind, must be the wider events of the last week.

1st Half

DD enjoyed the day at KEVIHS - met up with someone that she knew from another school. Enjoyed the lessons etc. Hadn't planned on how disruptive it would be for DD2, she has always had big sister going to school with her so that needed carefully sorting out. DD2 wanted to go to big school too! As per the open evening said the school lunches were really nice (Is it dinners or lunches) and do I now give her supper when she gets home, now that she is starting at a grammar :lol: :lol: Forgive the colloquial, but my DD like's her scran, so she is over the moon on that score.

She said some other girls were a bit nervous as well. I think I must have made the place out like a Victorian workhouse or something, because she said it was fairly relaxed, even playful at times. I think whatever happens as parents you have no idea what it is actually like on a day to day basis, so yesterday was always going be an eye opener for DD's. The day when skewed expectation and anticipation collided with reality. Bit like going on a holiday to a place you have never been to before, but heard lots about. It is always different with only some of the things you have been told turning out to be recognisably true.

2nd Half

We had a chat and dinner, she showed us the 1 hour a night homework schedule, plus they have to do some stuff over the summer. All looking good. Later kind of out of the blue, fell in a big heap on the floor crying and saying she wasn't ready for high school and she didn't want to go anymore. Also said that she could not possibly do it all. Said she felt nervous a bit, like when she was doing the 11+ exams last year.

I am not that sure it is that much to do with secondary school, more about DC can rapidly see the certainties and regularity of junior school rapidly coming to a close. I think the homework schedule of 1 hour a night might have been a bit daunting. Having watched the maths lesson at QMHS, I don't think she is going to have any problems with the difficulty. I think the biggest thing is likely to be the transition to self reliance and doing the volume of homework on a regular basis. I think that might be a bit of a shock when it comes to it. Hopefully they will be giving some easy stuff to do in the first few months, so they get into a routine. When we have talked to older girls on visits, they all seem to have good memories of Yr 7 and how easy it was.

Don't forget your study furniture (desk chair lamp) over the summer and please try and send them on the residential trip. Mine was jumping in lakes and rivers earlier this year (after health and safety risk assessments had been done), and it does them a world of good confidence wise. Great chance to form friendships which will be crucial for academic success going forward too. I think the residential's definitely contribute to academic success, but I can't say I can prove it.

PP
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

How times have changed -
in 1970 there were no open days,

first time I saw school was the exam
second time was the afternoon talk for parents and gels by the headmistress plus handing out the sewing pattern for the gym garment
third time was medical with the redoubtable Dr Martineau

that was it until we started :wink:

Induction days are great, if they go OK. Can be daunting for some if they don't enjoy - they worry all over the summer, fortunately all usually sorts out in Sept
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I recall everyone making up ominous stories about the medical just to add to the fear. Different era indeed. 1970 Herman? See the video of Sir Patrick Spens and Mr Swarbrick - who has recently passed.

Even if you are not into folk, this video will bring back memories, have a look at the crowd etc especially the kids. Almost looks like a golden age, the further away in the past it gets. I remember my peers dressing sort of like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlococGqzg8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

@pp, chg expects 1.5-2hrs of homework done every night. They will be getting their planners in September. Ks3 co-ordinator also said to make sure they are reading for pleasure throughout summer and do a little bit of Maths perhaps.

The biggest worry for my dd is making friends. She stuck by one girl who she knows all day and said everyone seemed in groups already. She already is worrying that thete won't be anyone who she gets on with. So a chat was needed to reassure her which I don't think quite worked. :(

Three weeks to go till summer hols and I just can't wait, I feel drained myself.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I agree that induction days can be a mixed blessing! My dd didn't really enjoy hers this time last year at KEHS. The one girl she knew was in a different class and she didn't seem to take to anyone in her own class. I was quite worried and it didn't help calm her nerves! She's had a great year though, made lots of friends and really settled in. I don't think a day is long enough really and it can actually make things worse.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

crazycrofter wrote:I agree that induction days can be a mixed blessing! My dd didn't really enjoy hers this time last year at KEHS. The one girl she knew was in a different class and she didn't seem to take to anyone in her own class. I was quite worried and it didn't help calm her nerves! She's had a great year though, made lots of friends and really settled in. I don't think a day is long enough really and it can actually make things worse.
Thanks crazycrofter, that's reassuring :) . Dd loved the lessons and school in general but came convinced she didn't think she would get on with anyone.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now