Marling uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mrsdevonshire

Marling uniform

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

Has anyone any tips or advice re Marling uniform?

Our son starts in September and have got some white shirts and slim black trousers from John Lewis already. Is it easiest to get everything else from Batemans and what is the quality like?

I'm particularly interested in the Blazers as can see you can buy your own and see on the badge. What do others mainly do?

Where they specify things like white socks for PE are these short or long? Will Batemans know?

Thank you

Mrs D
steppemum

Re: Marling uniform

Post by steppemum »

my ds is in year 8.
We bought white shirts from M&S (must be long sleeves) and generic black trousers from somewhere, and that was fine. (if they are too like jeans though they will be asked to get other ones)

The rest we got from Batemans. You need to really as it is quite specific, eg, navy pe shorts, need to be the right ones. The rugby shirt has Marling logo etc. It is pretty indestructible.
They weren't too expensive, everything costs more as you have to get names embroidered on things, at £3 per time. But this means that no-one can pinch someone else's pe kit, and that it always makes its way back to the owner if lost. You need the right house colour, so you will need to wait to buy some things until you know his house. There is normally a 2-3 week delay over the summer for embroidery.
white socks - any will do.

The blazer is quite a reasonable price, (as blazers go) I know you can buy a Tesco one and sew on a badge, but I am not sure how many people actually do, and if it would stand out. It is the one piece of kit which is very recognisable and which is worn all the time. The Bateman's ones also has loads of pockets, which is essential as it is in essence the pencil case and briefcase of a Marling boy!
ds is still wearing the same one, worn every day for 2 years, still looks good, not at all worn out, not sure if it will do next year or not yet.

black jumper - ds wears a coat, as he cycles. Many boys don't wear coats. Because he wears a blazer and a coat, he never, ever wears a jumper. This may be different if they don't wear a coat.

There is a second hand uniform stand at the parents information evening, but get there early as it sells out fast. I bought some summer polo shirts, and was very glad I did as ds wanted them and they cost £15 each.
I also got a tie and blazer in the next size.
One tip - I had no idea of sizes, so with dd we are going to visit the uniform shop before parents evening so I know what size to buy on the second hand stall.

Hope that helps
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

That is hugely helpful! Especially going to the shop before parents evening. I would have no idea on sizes either beyond skinny 11yr old. The Marling blazer sounds like the thing to have so will definitely purchase one and sounds like it's good quality.

For PE do they have a specified games bag or anything OK and take on day or keep it all in locker?

My dd is year 5 so hopefully she will be going to SHS and note your tips about uniform.

I guess I need to wait now until parents evening in July (beyond an initial first to Batemans).

Thanks again
Mrs D
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Mum of year 11 here.
Batemans uniform supplies are really good quality, so stick with them.
They were doing trousers in skinny and relaxed style so there is a choice.
Shoes get really muddy and a lot of wear so be warned.
Tie has to be in house colours, so does PE vest.

PE kit can go to school in anything really. Put a label on the bag.
They have to sign up for a locker and put down a 5.00 deposit otherwise trudge round school carrying the PE bag all day like my son has done for 5 years.

Its a great school ! I love the teachers. They are quite strict but they also have lots of fun. good luck.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

pe bags - ds has a drawstring bag. (he had a Nike one at one point, but lost it, so now he is back to boring basic one)

but, he much prefers to stuff the pe bag into his rucksack. He had a locker in year 7, but never used it after about Christmas time, they just carry everything with them.
His rucksack in year 7 was an Animal one, that he chose. But for year 8 he chose a much bigger one so that he can fit everything in it. (including 2 pairs of trainers on some days - footie boots and trainers for drama)

there are somethings which ds wanted to wait and then buy whatever everyone else had (eg coat)
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

Any advice on shoes?

I can see the pictures on the website but any recommendations?

DS has long narrow feet and anything too pointy like a brogue could make him look silly.

thank you

Mrs D
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I had a real issue with ds and shoes, as everyone at primary wore black trainers, and he couldn't believe that he needed real shoes. Once he got there and saw that everyone else had real shoes he was fine.

To be honest, any black shoe will do, they wear all sorts. But this year (year 8 ) ds shoes are technically not allowed, they are plain black addidas. He says lots of the boys wear them, they don't look like 'trainers' but they are definitely borderline.

He also has long skinny feet and now he is a size 13 :shock:

Also, he has been wearing skinny black jeans all year (ignoring the perfectly good black school trousers hanging in the cupboard) but they have recently had a big clampdown, so only proper trousers allowed now. We are searching for some super skinny ones for Sept!
Mrsdevonshire

Post by Mrsdevonshire »

steppemum wrote:I

Also, he has been wearing skinny black jeans all year (ignoring the perfectly good black school trousers hanging in the cupboard) but they have recently had a big clampdown, so only proper trousers allowed now. We are searching for some super skinny ones for Sept!
I can help there.

John Lewis do black skinny leg school trousers. Very good quality too. Got mine online as was impressed by reviews and should be great. My ds is long and skinny.

Mrs D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now