Walking from Colchester North station to Colchester Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adensano

Walking from Colchester North station to Colchester Girls

Post by adensano »

Hi,
Does anyone have a DD who walks from Colchester North station to Colchester girls, please? How long does it take and how safe is it?

Any information/advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Aden
KB

Re: Walking from Colchester North station to Colchester Girl

Post by KB »

Mostly I think they catch a bus. I should think getting on for a couple of miles - so 35 minutes depending on how much they are carrying and how much chatting?
It's perfectly safe just a bit of a drag on top of a train journey.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DD says quite a few older girls walk it, but the majority bus to the school from the station (first 65 or Chamber 84/754 are prefered buses) Unfortunately the preferred walking route involves walking on grass for some distance so isn't an option in bad weather as it gets very boggy!
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

That's a heck of a walk (I used to walk from the station to college at the institute daily) and I'd be encouraging her to get the bus
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

There are three different ways. 2 of them are roughly parallel and go through town. Mostly main roads, plenty of crossings and a steep hill to climb in both directions. They take about 35 minutes.

The last one involves going down Sheepen Road, behind Colchester Institute and taking the footpath across the nature reserve to Sussex Road, which joins onto Lexden Road. Muddy and probably best done in groups and whilst it is light. It takes about twenty minutes.
KB

Post by KB »

Knowing what goes on in that area I would certainly say only in a group that was going to stick together ( no teenage girl stropping off) and definitely only in daylight and no lingering.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Colcmum wrote:T

The last one involves going down Sheepen Road, behind Colchester Institute and taking the footpath across the nature reserve to Sussex Road, which joins onto Lexden Road. Muddy and probably best done in groups and whilst it is light. It takes about twenty minutes.
Do you mean Hilly Fields? If so, it's not an area I'd recommend girls walking through, group, or no-group. An internet search of Hilly Fields brings up a rather interesting array of crimes and unfortunate events (see May this year) - some search engines bring up more with Hillyfields.
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

I agree it is not a route I would recommend, but it is a route that is used. It avoids Balkerne Hill and North Hill which are both steep hills, plus it cuts off at least ten minutes walk to the station. Teenagers being teenagers....

If you know it's there then you know to forbid your child to use it.

It's actually pretty safe during the day, lots of families cycle and walk there and a lot of the issues took place in a neighbouring residential area (and in Hilly fIelds, Enfield in London). But I wouldn't want Dd walking home there by herself, just as I wouldn't want her walking in any semi-deserted open space at dusk.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Colcmum wrote:I agree it is not a route I would recommend, but it is a route that is used. It avoids Balkerne Hill and North Hill which are both steep hills, plus it cuts off at least ten minutes walk to the station. Teenagers being teenagers....

If you know it's there then you know to forbid your child to use it.

It's actually pretty safe during the day, lots of families cycle and walk there and a lot of the issues took place in a neighbouring residential area (and in Hilly fIelds, Enfield in London). But I wouldn't want Dd walking home there by herself, just as I wouldn't want her walking in any semi-deserted open space at dusk.
I know that there will be several forum members who will be sending their DC 45-50 miles each day to school in Colchester, but I'm curious as to how something happening in Enfield makes it undesirable to walk from Colchester North station to Lexden Road at eight o'clock in the morning?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Agreed this is the route I was talking about too, DD has friends that walk that way in good weather. I would not recommend it to the OP for a new year 7 tho', she would be better off on a bus.

2 different Hilly fields causing confusion I think!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now