Term time holidays

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

star72

Term time holidays

Post by star72 »

Hi all

Just a quick question. Has anyone ever requested term time holidays at WHSB and if so were they agreed. Looking for 3 days just before Easter next year.

Many thanks
mum of boys

Re: Term time holidays

Post by mum of boys »

Every time we've been to the school for parent meetings, they have taken the opportunity to emphasize that term time holidays are frowned on and will not be authorised, except for weddings, funerals and graduations. Any chance you can be going to one of those?!
star72

Post by star72 »

Hi mum of boys

Yes we have 3 family weddings in that period. They are my husband's nephews and nieces. Is it worth even asking?
KB

Post by KB »

So the cousins of your DS?
Sounds like it's worth a try.
End of term is usually less disruptive than the start but if it's 3 days together it could be hard for your DS to organise all the catch up work.
Does he need to go to all of them?
If you do apply to the school it's worth making sure your DS knows who the bride/groom is in case they check with him ;)
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

I don't believe it will be authorised, if you have the parent handbook they state this. At Thursday's parents evening they said again no time off. Sorry, they are very strict. You can still going but it will be unauthorised.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How did the problem happen? Term dates are published quite a way ahead and if it was important that they were there then the family would check.

Teachers can't do it ...
KB

Post by KB »

Is it possible to get away with just taking them out of school for say the last hour of a day or travelling back very early in the morning?
While I can see below why it matters to you to be there as a family is DS that bothered? Not sure mine would have been at that age.
moved

Post by moved »

I'm a head teacher and the DfE guidance is reasonably clear. Exceptional circumstances only, although no one says what those circumstances are. It damages my data as we are monitored on unauthorised absence.

I authorise educational activities and those for arts / sport. I also authorise cultural activities such as horse fairs for our travellers.
Holiday is only authorised under the strictest of circumstances such as:
a final family holiday for a child with her father prior to his death from cancer or a Thai child whose mother won't travel once his sibling is born and he therefore won't see relatives for 2 years.
I've also authorised absence for a family whose mother worked with troubled teens during the school holidays. She provided me with a letter from the charity that she worked for explaining that her work during school holidays was essential to the wellbeing of those that she worked with. She took work for her children and did it daily with them so that they didn't have as much to catch up when they returned.

I would authorise a day for a wedding if the child's parent was marrying but not for cousins, etc.
I have authorised children where there is a religious tradition to attend a wedding, such as a boy being the 'male' of the family where a father is absent for some reason.

This doesn't stop families from taking holiday and ECC only fine after 5 days absence. I assume Southend would be the same. It is up to the school whether or not to fine.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:I'm a head teacher and the DfE guidance is reasonably clear. Exceptional circumstances only, although no one says what those circumstances are. It damages my data as we are monitored on unauthorised absence.

I authorise educational activities and those for arts / sport. I also authorise cultural activities such as horse fairs for our travellers.
Holiday is only authorised under the strictest of circumstances such as:
a final family holiday for a child with her father prior to his death from cancer or a Thai child whose mother won't travel once his sibling is born and he therefore won't see relatives for 2 years.
I've also authorised absence for a family whose mother worked with troubled teens during the school holidays. She provided me with a letter from the charity that she worked for explaining that her work during school holidays was essential to the wellbeing of those that she worked with. She took work for her children and did it daily with them so that they didn't have as much to catch up when they returned.

I would authorise a day for a wedding if the child's parent was marrying but not for cousins, etc.
I have authorised children where there is a religious tradition to attend a wedding, such as a boy being the 'male' of the family where a father is absent for some reason.

This doesn't stop families from taking holiday and ECC only fine after 5 days absence. I assume Southend would be the same. It is up to the school whether or not to fine.
Yes, the SBC website mentions ten sessions (5 school days) and something about the average attendance over the past 12 weeks, plus something else which I've forgotten, but I also forgot to copy the link :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

It's also about what your DS can cope with. He will be responsible for copying up missed notes from other pupils, finding out what work was set and getting it done. Over three days that could be quite a lot to organise, although in year 7 it might be easier if the form have all their lessons together.