Indies without entrance tests

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
leanmeamum

Indies without entrance tests

Post by leanmeamum »

Are there any indies in North London which might take secondary school pupils without entrance exams?
copella

Re: Indies without entrance tests

Post by copella »

King Alfred's in Golders Green. They are mixed ability and don't think there is much of an exam, just some tests to see levels.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know if this helps? I googled "North London independent schools"
http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/educa ... nt_schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
copella

Post by copella »

Odd list as it has Grieg City Academy on it, a not to good comp and definitely not independent.

There is also St Martha's a small Catholic indie for girls in Barnet. Said to have good pastoral care.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

copella wrote:Odd list as it has Grieg City Academy on it, a not to good comp and definitely not independent.

There is also St Martha's a small Catholic indie for girls in Barnet. Said to have good pastoral care.
Academies are sometimes classified as 'independent', in the sense of not being run by the LEA. A little bit confusing.

I met a very nice girl from King Alfred's back in the mists of time when we were both on a language course run by the Anglo-Austrian Society near Salzburg. (Obviously, I may have met many since, just not knowingly :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Most of the 700+ independent senior schools at not that selective but may have a nominal exam- more for the purpose of internal assessment as opposed to select acheademacily .

If you were an alien and happened to stumble onto this rarified forum you would think that all private schools are as selective as the state grammars-this is far from true, you just never hear about them on this selective(histrionic) forum :wink:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Is it for a girl or boy?
St Martha's in Barnet for girls.
St John's in Enfield for mixed
St Columba in St Albans for boys.
I think St C and St J have an exam but they are not selective...
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Thank you for the responses

It is for a boy - clever but very easily stressed (in year 4 still) and parents would prefer an indie
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

St John's have a VR, Maths and English exam but the main filter is VR