Kent Sept 2016 takers - how is it going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grgygirl

Kent Sept 2016 takers - how is it going?

Post by grgygirl »

We seem to be running out of steam. Several mock tests under ds belt but I think the 'winding down for the summer holidays' at school has affected us at home too! I also want to give ds a break (which we'll have at the end of July). I'm finding it difficult to prep for the CEM for Bexley but cover the content for Kent too. Hoping to finish the Bond test papers in the next week or so and will then move onto FPTP.

Any more September takers out there?
theonly1

Re: Kent Sept 2016 takers - how is it going?

Post by theonly1 »

Hi, cannot even say how we are doing as just doing the best which hopefully should be good enough. Last week DS struggled a lot with Cloze questions but seems to have made progress. Mock exams book for mid August. Good work ethics and never complains so it is one day a time. All the best everyone.
salsa

Post by salsa »

theonly1 wrote:Hi, cannot even say how we are doing as just doing the best which hopefully should be good enough. Last week DS struggled a lot with Cloze questions but seems to have made progress. Mock exams book for mid August. Good work ethics and never complains so it is one day a time. All the best everyone.
Cloze for Kent? Is your son also doing Bexley?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

If it is any help, we were in your position a year ago doing Kent, Bexley and Newstead. DD just did half an hour once a day during the summer holidays and she had two days off a week which she could pick herself so she had some control. Once she went back to school in early September she did no practice and just concentrated on school and the tests. Yes she had chosen to do this and was on board so minimal nagging involved. The mocks we did were invaluable in showing up any last minute flaring gaps that we could then focus on.

Running out of steam may just be displaying a maturity in approach. This is the time to encourage them to beat themselves. Kent was tight on time, so was Bexley but not to the same degree so pace and accuracy in a short space of time can be key skills.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Yes, definitely working on timing this hols and have another 2 local mock tests booked for July and August. We are more than a little tired of it all now though but will keep plugging on. Ds weaker areas are comp and certain nvr sections so we will be concentrating on pulling up marks in those areas.
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Yes my DS is also doing the Bexley test. Sorry I should have mentioned this upfront.
mystery

Post by mystery »

We are just doing the Kent test. Plugging our way through the GL assessment familiarisation papers, all 32 of them, at the moment. Feeling a bit behind and a bit concerned about timing in some types of question.

Did the 2014 Kent test so familiar with the "new" format in some ways - but I've forgotten how many questions there were in what time in those papers and I don't have that informaton for 2015 either.

Any of you know how many questions there were in each section and the timings in 2015?
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

mystery wrote:We are just doing the Kent test. Plugging our way through the GL assessment familiarisation papers, all 32 of them, at the moment. Feeling a bit behind and a bit concerned about timing in some types of question.

Did the 2014 Kent test so familiar with the "new" format in some ways - but I've forgotten how many questions there were in what time in those papers and I don't have that informaton for 2015 either.

Any of you know how many questions there were in each section and the timings in 2015?
Maths last year was /25. 2014 was /30. In 25 mins
English /24. In 25 mins
Reasoning /80. Not sure how it was split over the hour. Suspect verbal 25-30 mins, non verbal & spatial split down further into different timed sections.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you. Sounds like generous timing on the reasoning unless the questions were stinkers.

Do we have any info on raw scores equating to certain standardised scores in 2015? I did an FOI about raw scores in 2015 and was told it was sensitive info and they didn't have to reply. In previous years, this was not the case I don't think.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

To score 106 (a pass) in each paper:

A child aged 10 years 1 month needed

Maths 10/25
English 12/24
Reasoning 33/80

A child aged 11 needed

Maths 12/25
English 13/24
Reasoning 35/80

To score 138 in English, or 141 in the other papers (the highest marks possible):

A child aged 10 years 1 month needed

Maths 24/25
English 22/24
Reasoning 68/80

A child aged 11 needed

Maths 24/25
English 22/24
Reasoning 68/80