32%
MTS
68%

Total votes: 19

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
G084

Habs vs. Merchant Taylors

Post by G084 »

Now that the 22nd has arrived and we've heard from all the schools, to those whose sons managed to get a place at Habs and MTS....which to choose and why?

More recently MTS seems to be on the tip of everyone's tongue, and people are choosing MTS over Habs without a second thought.
pochu

Post by pochu »

We are thrilled! We got 4 envelopes today, 3 large ones and 1 small thin one. All were offers! :lol:

MTS, Habs, Belmont (Academic Scholarship) and John Lyons.

Very difficult decisions! We might ask to visit some of the schools again (on a working day - if they allow us) before the 5th- 7th March to make a final choice.

Once again best of luck in your choices and getting offers to everybody.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Congratulations pochu and son on wonderful results/offers.

Are you looking to decide on a grammar option as well?
pochu

Post by pochu »

Thank you Lion63 for your kind words and also all your detailed information from before.

Yes, we are waiting to hear from QEB school on 3rd March, so fingers crossed otherwise we will have to opt for the private route!
vas

habs vs mts

Post by vas »

Hello lion63 and poncho, Having read your mails it seems that you are both confident in having made and making your choices of school. Much as my son has always been and still is very keen on Habs, we are undecided and want to wait for the QEB results. However we are also worried about making the wrong decision. We have sent our son to a prep school from yr2, where he has gained his confidence, as his ability was recognised which his local state school failed to do. ( He has a lazy approach in class and can be a dreamer). Although he has grown since his yr 2 days, we are unsure if he will still do well in QEB with larger class rooms and a tougher environment. (Assuming he gets a place). My son was born 12 weeks prematurely and any decision we make has always been justified as giving the best chance in life for him; We also have a daughter who goes to the local state school and is doing very well, we have no intention of moving her to a private school until 11. Any advise is appreciated.
filbert

Post by filbert »

Vas the only person who knows your child best is you. If you are having misgivings about QEB then it is most likely with good reason. The Herts section has plenty of info on the first few weeks at QEB if you check for Sept-Oct 2007. See if that helps you. My impression is that it starts with a short sharp shock into the regime rather than a gradual ramp up so they should give a good indication. You seem to have fit the QEBs way not really the other way around.
vas

habs vs mts

Post by vas »

Many Thanks for your information Filbert. I can see the Herts site is full of eye openers for QEB. I shall certainly read all to have the true feel of the school.
simon

Post by simon »

I am struggling with this decision too but would really like to know why there is so much negative feeling about Habs.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Probably because they are arrogant b*******s who think they are head and shoulders above everyone else.
TMW

Post by TMW »

zorro wrote:Probably because they are arrogant b*******s who think they are head and shoulders above everyone else.
Ouch.

Have you specific experience that has led you to those thoughts?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now