International Baccaloreaute

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stressed?Moi?

International Baccaloreaute

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Can anyone tell me please if the IB has to be "earned" in one go, or can it be added to later, ie, if a humanity is missed out on the GCSE round in year 11, can it be included if it is passed, say, the following year? Thanks
Reading Mum

Re: International Baccaloreaute

Post by Reading Mum »

The IB and GCSEs are totally different things. The IB is an alternative to A levels. Are you maybe thinking of the 'English Baccalaureate'?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you mean Gove's baccalaureate, not the IB? The baccalaureate made up of GCSEs doesn't really exist - it is just a rather odd collection of GCSEs so it's not really a case of passing it - no certificate will be awarded. I presume when league tables are published they are only using the results from that year though. Our school ignores it!
scary mum
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I've really been struggling to work it out and think I'm confusing the two. In order to achieve the one I was referring to you have to pass Maths, English Lit and Lang, 3 x sciences and a humanity. Is that Gove's one, English Bacc or International Bacc? For example, I hadn't realised that IB was A levels. Good job I don't have to sit them!!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Gove's bacc is the one that the league tables use - no certificate and a complete waste of time imho. It was 'invented' for a cohort that had already taken their GCSEs which sums it up really ...
KB

Post by KB »

Gove's Bacc is the English Back and it's the one that's a list of specific GCSEs. Supposedly to encourage schools to make sure pupils take a range of core subjects but it is controversial by the choice of subjects included.

There are several threads on the forum about the proper, International Bacc that is an alternative to A levels. Basically it reduces narrowness of study but retains academic vigour.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That's helpful - many thanks. Doesn't sound like it's that brilliant and would allow her to pass up on a humanity she doesn't want to do (she doesn't intend going to Uni or anything like that), but to do A Levels at college. As she is thinking about working abroad when her studies are complete, sounds like the IBacc would be of more use.