New rules on appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

New rules on appeals

Post by Tolstoy »

Quote: Etienne
"The Local Government Ombudsman is welcoming the Government’s commitment to ensuring school complaints and admissions processes are clear and fair for parents and children.

Today’s White Paper from the Department for Education, called Educational Excellence Everywhere, sets out a number of proposals for strengthening schools accountability, giving parents and members of the public the opportunity to take their concerns and complaints to an independent ombudsman."

One of these proposals includes making local authorities responsible for handling the administration of admissions appeals for all schools and academies, and creating a ‘single route for escalating any complaints about the maladministration of appeals’.

So to confirm understanding. LEAs will now run appeals not individual schools? I do think this is a fairer system if my understanding is correct.

Will this also apply to the Bucks reviews system which is currently a bit of a closed shop in terms of working out FCY..... and could it lead to a return to the old system whereby fair appeals could be held before school places are allocated? Too late for us of course if it does but much better for future pupils.
Etienne

Re: New rules on appeals

Post by Etienne »

Tolstoy wrote:So to confirm understanding. LEAs will now run appeals not individual schools? I do think this is a fairer system if my understanding is correct.
It was a proposal, so we'll have to wait and see what happens in practice, especially now that there's been a government re-shuffle.
Will this also apply to the Bucks reviews system ........
We're not aware of any proposal to change non-statutory reviews, although the next version of the Appeals Code (whenever it comes) might possibly clarify the process or make changes.
Etienne
Tolstoy

Re: New rules on appeals

Post by Tolstoy »

Hope it does make changes as it might improve the system, couldn't possibly be any worse than the current lack of transparency when decided children's futures :roll: