ColCHS YR7 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Colcmum

ColCHS YR7 2016

Post by Colcmum »

I saw CRGS has a very useful looking thread and thought it might be worth starting one for ColCHS.

A while ago there was some discussion about the girls all meeting up before September, was wondering if anyone was still up for that?

Has anyone bought any uniform yet? I have been given some shirts by the mother of a current student, but it feels almost like having a baby - I am reluctant to think about buying until closer to the time :lol: .
Two-at-once

Re: ColCHS YR7 2016

Post by Two-at-once »

Hi Colcmum - good idea to start a thread for Sept starters! Meeting up over the summer would be good for them and I'm also going to encourage DD to swap contact details with anyone she makes friends with on the induction day.

The only bits of uniform I've bought so far are some short sleeved shirts from BHS online. They're the only other place apart from Coes I could find that did the revere collar. I heard the BHS shop in town was closing so thought I'd buy some in case the whole company disappeared! DD is growing like a giraffe at the moment so I'm leaving the rest of the uniform until a bit later. I think I'm also waiting until after the information evening and induction day so it will all seem real!
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

It all still feels a bit uncertain doesn't it?

Great idea about contact details at induction, I'll remind DD to do that as well.

Are you in Colchester two-at-once (you mentioned the BHS closing down)?
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Hi it was me who started the last thread, my bad for letting it slide! My daughter is really excited to meet others going as she's the only girl from her school off to colchs.

We are local (so local she's going to be walking to school) if anyone fancies meeting up sooner?

I'm holding off uniform buying for now as she's had another growth spurt. She's now huge and fully dwarfs my mother in law :lol:
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

We are very local too, it'll be a ten minute walk if she takes the muddy path between the schools and twenty minutes if she avoids it. Her school have got three or four boys into the grammar, but as far as we know she is the only girl to get in. DD has walked the route a lot already as her school have a lot of links with PHilip Morant, plus a lot of her soon-to-be-ex-classmates live along the route.

Her teacher said that the school will ask for information etc in June/July, including any girls she would like to be in the same class with, so it would be good to meet before then so the teacher can pass any names on. Familiar face in the yr 7 class might be quite nice?
SJL

Post by SJL »

DD also lives less than 15 minutes from ColCHS for Girls provided she walks along a muddy path and is starting there in September and is the only one from her school though she didn't go to a local primary. She too would love to meet up with some new starters especially those she might be able to walk to and from school with. No thought given to uniform yet, she grows far too quickly!
Allice

Post by Allice »

We're colchester based and would be up for meeting.

I was at Coe's for my sons uniform a few weeks ago and the sales assistant advised going early to get uniform as it gets ridiculously busy.
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

We phoned the school today as the cheque we sent with the forms had not been cashed and we got paranoid :lol: . Apparently they don't cash them until September and we will be getting another information pack around the end of June.

Also their current Yr6 teachers are filling in reports on the children this month, DD was asked for her thoughts by the deputy head who was doing it today. This means if they want to be with in a class with anyone in particular then the Year 6 teachers probably need to be told relatively soon.

I also wanted to offer something to anyone who might need it. I know some of the girls are coming a long way, reliant on public transport or walking by themselves properly for the first time. We live ten minutes walk from the school, on one of the main roads between the school and Colchester town centre. I would be happy to be an emergency space if the girls get worried or frightened on the way to school or going home e.g. if they get followed or teased by some one they want to escape, transport chaos, miss the bus, got confused or lost. Somewhere they could wait safely if they needed it.
AliTrew

Post by AliTrew »

I think it's a lovely idea for a get together before September, thank you for suggesting it. We live in a village just outside of Colchester but my son doesn't know anybody else starting CRGS. He was really looking forward to September but nerves are starting to kick in and the realisation that all his mates will continue to go to school together is starting to upset him. If he could just recognise a few faces on his first day it would no doubt help a great deal.
Pythag345

Post by Pythag345 »

Message for those with daughters in 7H…..

Thank you to the advice on this page; I encouraged my DD to collect some contacts from her form and I also met a couple of the mums at the evening last week.
I'm organising a get-together picnic at Castle Park on Wednesday 31st August, 1pm onwards, specifically for those in 7H. It would be great to let as many as possible know about this. Do message me if you would like more information, either for yourself or to pass on to others you may know joining that form.

Looking forward to meeting new people and DD making new friends :)