Summer born children- any adjustment in final score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kbodh

Summer born children- any adjustment in final score

Post by kbodh »

Met few ladies at the mockup at Chemsford.
We were discussing if there is any adjustment in CSSE final score for summer born children.
Everyone has their own opinion but none was sure if there is any adjustment in final score.
Any idea?
ToadMum

Re: Summer born children- any adjustment in final score

Post by ToadMum »

kbodh wrote:Met few ladies at the mockup at Chemsford.
We were discussing if there is any adjustment in CSSE final score for summer born children.
Everyone has their own opinion but none was sure if there is any adjustment in final score.
Any idea?
I'm sure it's in the FAQs on the website, but no.

I once asked about this out of sheer idle curiosity (all the children who passed in our June-born child's year at his primary had May and June birthdays) and was told that the spread of results is looked at and if any statistical difference were to be found, then age-standardisation would be applied, but to date it never had been necessary.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
dizzyizzy65

Post by dizzyizzy65 »

I've often seen posts about this and i know that in some counties they do this system. my oldest dd passed and is august birthday. My personnel view is that they all start school at the same time nowadays so should really make no difference.
AlthoughI know when my dd went to whsg most of her friends birthdays were between September and December so maybe there is something in it after all.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

4 of the boys (out of 6) who gained places at my son's school were July & August bdays. It's not adjusted though.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SlighlyStressedMum wrote:4 of the boys (out of 6) who gained places at my son's school were July & August bdays. It's not adjusted though.
The kids who passed in DS1's year all started in the same week - they were the last of the three term intake, so that was the first week of the summer term of their Reception year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx