Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Saady

Altrincham grammar boys school

Post by Saady »

Hi all
New here, need some advice for Altrincham grammar boys school catchment
I am outside the catchment about 14 miles away, does anyone know the probability of a child going outside catchment to this school.
deltamum

Re: Altrincham grammar boys school

Post by deltamum »

Each year the school offers around 25-30% approx. of its places to out of catchment boys who have achieved the highest scores in the entrance exam. in catchment boys need to reach 334 to pass and be offered a place, for OOC boys distance is not a factor it is purely score. In 2014 the lowest score for an OOC place to be offered was 342 but this varies each year depending on the intake numbers that year (some years this is 210 boys if they can accommodate an extra class , others it is 180*) and of course how many places are left after in catchment places have been offered.

2013 Boys with a score of 349 and above
2012 Boys with a score of 353 and above

*The school have said that they will not be able to offer an extra class in the future unless the school is able to physically expand.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hello

My son is now in Upper Sixth at AGSB, we live approx. 12 miles away. For out of catchment children a higher mark is generally required. It was 351 vs 334 ( for in catchment) the year we started but changes year on year. If you search some of the posts on here, then that will give you an indication, though the recent school presentation will probably also give you this information ( check out the school website).
Saady

Post by Saady »

Thanks guys
Your replies means a lot
So my son is due to sit exam next year, we are. 14 miles away.
And what happens if a child got place as he's in catchment but moves out after starting the school, I see posts here that child's place is taken as soon as a catchment child goes out of the catchment.
When do they have a open day for 2018 intake?
Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Open day will be next May/June. To be considered in catchment you have to be resident at a certain date. There probably will be guidance on the websites about specifics.

Once you start at the school, I think you would be ok to move. You need to be very careful about the residency matters as it is easy to make a mistake and invalidate your application. They do carry out checks as well.
Saady

Post by Saady »

I've checked on website all they say is the xatchment area, nothing about the situation of how far outside catchment is considered or what implication it would make if someone move out of catchment once after being offered a place etc
Homebird

Post by Homebird »

Are you only considering Altrincham Boys? The other Trafford Grammar schools have slightly differing out of catchment policies so it might be worth you looking into those as well
Saady

Post by Saady »

Only altrincham boys
enema

Post by enema »

Might be worth being aware that AGSB is presently outside of the newly formed Trafford Grammar Schools Consortium for the entrance exams. There is still time for it to join for next year, which may mean a change in format and in/out catchment scores. It appears to have affected AGGS who changed to the new format last Sept; last admission distance seems to have gone from 5.4 miles to between 11 and 17 miles this year.
Saady

Post by Saady »

Yes I'm aware of gags changed format last year, is there the change expected for boys school too,
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now