Grammar School Places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
out of county dad

Grammar School Places

Post by out of county dad »

Hi

Does anyone have any stats or info on whether any pupils who have passed the 11+ (or a selection appeal) do not receive an offer for a preferred grammar school place ?

What are the chances of a successful transfer appeal?

Seems to be much over-subscription this year - I know of three passes who haven't received a GS place :?

Thanks
OOD
redapple

grammer school places

Post by redapple »

Hi
Oh Gosh do you know what school?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I looked into this a few months back. It turned out that a majority of OOC applicants did not win grammar school places despite qualifying.

On my figures, only about 35-40% could actually take up a place.

Put another way: about 2500 kids qualify but only about 2150 kids are placed. The kids who miss out are generally the OOCs.

For Bucks children, the percentage is in the high nineties for those who win a place at their highest preference grammar school.

Of course, I don't yet know what the situation is for this year.
Sally-Anne

Re: grammer school places

Post by Sally-Anne »

redapple wrote:Oh Gosh do you know what school?
Hi Redapple

Stay calm! OOC Dad is near Royal Latin - the other side of the County to you. :wink:

Remember the stats I gave you on JHG? :D

Best wishes (and fingers crossed!)
Sally-Anne
redapple

Post by redapple »

Hi Sally- Ann

Bless you.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Since the rules were changed a few years back to make distance one of the main oversubscription criteria, it follows that qualified OOC applicants are less likely to gain a place the further away they live from the school. Any spare places left over once all qualified in-catchment applicants are catered for are allocated strictly according to the BCC or school's admission criteria. As I understand it, the admission authorities are not allowed to prioritize qualified applicants who live in-county but out of catchment, over out-of-county qualified applicants - but I'm prepared to be proved wrong!

The allocation profile should be published soon, so anyone whose application has been rejected yet lives closer than the distance stated ought to have a good case for appeal IMO.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Marylou

You are correct on catchment - as Etienne wrote on the Forum some while back:
The Greenwich Judgement of 1989 established that LA schools may not give priority to children simply because of the fact that they live in the authority�s administrative area. (This does not mean that admission authorities cannot use certain oversubscription criteria, such as the catchment area rule which is permitted under the Rotherham judgement of 1997.)
Marylou wrote:The allocation profile should be published soon, so anyone whose application has been rejected yet lives closer than the distance stated ought to have a good case for appeal IMO.
I hope I haven't misunderstood you, but under the distance rules that situation cannot arise unless there has been an error in calculating the distance from school gates, or unless someone lives exactly on the cut-off distance, in which case it might come down to a fraction of a mile. (This applies to in-county applications only of course.)

If you spot the Allocation Profile before I do I would be grateful if you would post the link. Thank you!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote: I hope I haven't misunderstood you, but under the distance rules that situation cannot arise unless there has been an error in calculating the distance from school gates, or unless someone lives exactly on the cut-off distance, in which case it might come down to a fraction of a mile. (This applies to in-county applications only of course.)

If you spot the Allocation Profile before I do I would be grateful if you would post the link. Thank you!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Yes, I was thinking about possible errors in calculating the distance - ours can vary quite considerably as most GPS systems send you round the "long" way! :o As a result most people assume we live further away from the school than we do, but we've had an "official" measurement done by BCC just in case it presents an issue next year when we apply for no. 2.

Regarding the Allocation Profile, I'll post it if I see it - perhaps we should offer a prize to the first person to find it and post the link? :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, I was thinking about possible errors in calculating the distance - ours can vary quite considerably as most GPS systems send you round the "long" way! As a result most people assume we live further away from the school than we do, but we've had an "official" measurement done by BCC just in case it presents an issue next year when we apply for no. 2.

Very wise Marylou! :D

For the benefit of anyone else looking at this thread, this website uses the same software as Bucks CC, so should always produce the same result as you would get from Bucks themselves.

Make sure that you go to "Advanced" and select "shortest route".

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web/Tem ... tingloop=Y

Although it is very unlikely to apply, note that Bucks CC also take into account footpaths. None of the Allocation Profiles should be that close this year though! :lol:

Sally-Anne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now