any tips please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bubbles123

any tips please

Post by bubbles123 »

hello, I am trying to prepare my daughter for the tiffin girls, nonsuch and wallington girls tests this sept.

However, I am a bit unsure of a few things and would be extremely grateful for any advise.
I believe all 3 schools have dropped verbal/non verbal reasoning. My question is - is it a good idea to go over some basic non verbal techniques (just in case these sorts of questions turn up ) or would it be better to leave non verbal and concentrate on more pressing topics.

Also, any advise regarding verbal reasoning, eg codes etc.. and what areas would be better to concentrate on/leave out...its seems to be such a mammoth task !

one last question (thanks ..)

I have begun giving my daughter some past independent school papers, any advise on which papers would be better to practise on over the holidays .

thanks ever so much, to anyone that responds.

bubbles...
Ladymuck

Re: any tips please

Post by Ladymuck »

I think that VR questions which look at vocabulary are worth looking at (eg antonyms/synonyms) but would not expect codes or NVR.

In terms of independent maths papers, I'd cover Reigate Grammar, Dulwich and then Manchester Grammar. Obviously GL multiple choice for the first round. The second round will be geometry, data and wordier problems.
bubbles123

Post by bubbles123 »

Thanks LM,
that was very helpful
bubbles
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Ladymuck wrote:I think that VR questions which look at vocabulary are worth looking at (eg antonyms/synonyms) but would not expect codes or NVR.

In terms of independent maths papers, I'd cover Reigate Grammar, Dulwich and then Manchester Grammar. Obviously GL multiple choice for the first round. The second round will be geometry, data and wordier problems.
What is GL?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BlueBerry wrote:
Ladymuck wrote:I think that VR questions which look at vocabulary are worth looking at (eg antonyms/synonyms) but would not expect codes or NVR.

What is GL?
GL Assessment (formerly NFER), one of the two main commercial providers of 11+ exams.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for your reply. I thought that the exams were written by the schools?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

BlueBerry wrote:Thanks for your reply. I thought that the exams were written by the schools?
Yes they are. My comment re GL is that their style is closer to the first round format. If you only used independent school papers you would spend lots of time on setting out working carefully but that is not a good technique for the first round multiple choice.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Got it, thanks for taking time to explain it all to me :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now