Changes to re-marking

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Changes to re-marking

Post by Guest55 »

Thought this could be useful to parents as some schools may not be up to speed.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content ... r-students" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tolstoy

Re: Changes to re-marking

Post by Tolstoy »

Just been reading the previous post on this. I was aware there had been changes but not clear about what they were. The three posters who have commented on this piece make very valid points. It does raise alarm bells about how subjective some of the marking is and does not inspire confidence for those of us who have DC hoping to get high grades in essay based subjects. Already having concerns that DCs teacher has been too generous in their marking :(
catmum

Post by catmum »

Hmmm. You would hope the first marking would be accurate, however it is not even for objective subjects. DS had a amths as remarked and gained 5 UMS
She then had a A2 maths paper remarked and gained 6 UMS!

I found it shocking that maths could be so badly marked
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Agree catmum, but at least with subjects like Maths the errors will be obvious and remarks allowed. It does beg the question, how many incorrectly marked papers go undetected? Unless they check all of them we'll never know. The other problem is that with a return to linear papers those children who have coasted throughout their school years but decide to put in a lot of effort for the exams that count will go undetected if their papers are incorrectly marked as the expectation will be lower anyway.

They need to focus purely on marking quality and moderation if they want to increase consumer confidence.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Personally I think there are two answers:

* only use qualified teachers and pay them properly

* make photocopies of all scripts available electronically to the school - they are marked online so that should not be a problem - then appeals will be cut down dramatically.
KB

Post by KB »

I hadn't realised that the "re-marker" can see the marks originally given.

If the exam boards are striving to be 'fair' then shouldn't the remark be independent of the first?
I guess in an ideal world all the papers would be blind double marked - or at least those near a grade boundary.

Presumably the exam boards do check that the marks awarded by each examiner are following the national picture?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now