Emergency Maths help....

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
IonaM

Emergency Maths help....

Post by IonaM »

Hi all,

Ive posted my query in the General thread - but so far crickets! . My DD is sitting the CEM 11+ in September. I was a late starter but we have had some great help from a tutor since Feb, and my DD has also been going to the local 11+ sessions at Explore. I think her English, NVR and VR are improving at a steady rate. Im a little worried about the Maths though.

At this stage what materials could I use to assess her gaps and then help her prepare strategically for the test in Sept?

We are going camping for the last week of August and Im wondering what resources I could take with us to keep up the momentum and support her in the final push? We may have some internet access but its likely to be patchy so need both online and offline suggestions. I have already bought the No Nonsense Maths book by Bond and also have their NVR/Maths 10 minute tests. Is there anything else we could use?

Your seasoned advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)
russet

Re: Emergency Maths help....

Post by russet »

Why not take her into Waterstones or Smiths and look through the revision guides and workbooks to get some year 5 and 6 ones she likes the look of. It is important to get workbooks or revision guides with lots of examples to do, as children learn by doing rather than being told.
Also, parents know their own children best, but I would consider letting the holiday be a holiday. One week of doing nothing may even be a rest to let the maths she has learnt sink in and set her up for learning all the better when she gets back.
IonaM

Post by IonaM »

HI Russett

Thanks for the reply. My instinct would be to let her be and have a holiday too! However I am wrestling with the guilt of having been a bit laissez faire about getting started in February this year rather than in year 4/ early year 5 like everyone else. She only has a week on her return before the 11+ on the 10th. So Im thinking while we don't want to be doing full papers each day - I do want to keep up with some easy to do activities that will keep her mind going. Ive downloaded a couple of apps. I think the idea of taking her to Waterstones is a good one - although I'm more than likely to lose her to the fiction shelves!

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts - much appreciated. :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In my limited experience the maths CEM can be prepared for in a very short space of time. My DC scored highly in that section after only a couple of weeks preparation. So if your DD has been preparing since Feb she should be ready. It is the VR that needs more time, due to building up a large bank of vocabulary I guess.

I would download a mental arithmetic app that focusses on addition, subtraction and times tables and more importantly enjoy the break.

Goodluck
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Schofield & Sims Mental Arithmetic Level5 and 6 were the only maths "prep" my boys did for CEM (It was actually the only maths homework the school set so not really for 11+ but they both got into a super selective). The pages are split into A/B/C. Starting with easy and ending with more wordy problem solving so ideal really. Aim for 20-25 mins max per page but can dip in and do a section in a short space of time and flit to something else which mimics CEM.

And practice times tables whilst you drive around in the car!
IonaM

Post by IonaM »

Thank you so much for your helpful responses. I have a plan!

Cheers m'dears

Iona :)
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I'd second the Schofield and Sims books. It's what we used for quick practice sessions for my two children who took the CEM test. Both said the exam was easier than the prep we'd done (that was worrying until we got the results). Although we stopped all work the week before.

What we did in the last week was talk about how the exam would be. What to do if someone else gets upset? What if you need the loo? Practicing filling in the multiple choice boxes. What if there's a minute to go and you've still got a few questions to go? Exam arrangements on the day. That sort if thing. My daughter was only just 10 when she took the test and I think this really helped her. We were also very positive about her non-grammar choices.

Also not everyone starts in yr4. For all three of mine we started after Christmas and all three did really well.

Enjoy your holiday.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now