any second round advise please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bubbles123

any second round advise please

Post by bubbles123 »

hello, I would be grateful for any advise for second round wallington/nonsuch and tiffin girls English exam.

I'm trying to help my daughter for the creative writing part of the exam and am unsure how best to do this. am a bit stuck for ideas,

I believe it could be stories , but is there any advise with regards to argumentative essays (could that sort of thing come up ??) or is it just stories/descriptions??

what is the best way to prepare ?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated at this late stage.

Thanks
BlueBerry

Re: any second round advise please

Post by BlueBerry »

Following with interest.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

A piece of comprehension followed by a bit of writing?

The idea being that the comprehension gives some context and allows for premeditated regurgitation to be spotted.

e.g. Once I think there was a description about going to the park and watching a toy boat... the writing was meant to be continuation of the story or the story from a different perspective.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
Animis opibusque parati
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

For English I think it's worth having a look at the Whitgift sample papers on their website. I had the feeling that in the past this was similar to the Wilson's test.
Persuasive pieces of writing also seem quite common eg a letter to an MP asking for funding for a new playground.
I think there have been pictures in the past as well as an opener to a creative writing piece.
When my daughter did Nonsuch there was no comprehension just an extended essay. Wallington in contrast was several short written parts.
godot

Post by godot »

Hello. I am slightly confused!! Easily done these days!! For the second round Nonsuch/ Wallington second stage exam there is just one test for both schools . Is this right?
Were there different tests for Wallington girls and Non such in 2015?
bambina

Post by bambina »

Yes, last year my daughter took the second stage exam, but only at Nonsuch. In 2015 there were two separate exams, one at Nonsuch and one at Wallington. We didn't do the Wallington one as we weren't interested in that school. This year, the two schools have joined forces and are offering just one exam for both schools. In a way, this is better for them as there is less marking and apparently if you pass it, you can put either school first on your CAF form. Unfortunately, it also means you only have one chance to pass and get a good result for a second stage exam :( :roll:

My daughter passed and got offered a place at Nonsuch. I remember her telling me when she came out, that she'd had to write an essay/short story.

Hope that helps :D
godot

Post by godot »

thank you for that.
i was just wondering if the comprehension had the marks for each question next to the question
also in the maths do you show your workings on the booklet and are these marked
and is there a section for making a plan in the writing booklet
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The instructions will be clearly on the front page of the exam, so best to get your dd to read it carefully. There will almost certainly be marks for workings and she will be expected to show these. As comprehension is now tested in the SET there is less of a likelihood of it being included in the second round. Where it has, there have been relatively few questions - it has almost been an exercise in writing than in comprehension.
YogaMan

Post by YogaMan »

Does anybody know the formats for second stage SGS in previous years by any chance?

Website says it "extended piece of writing" and maths paper based on KS2 curriculum. would it be correct that working out is required as this is no longer MC. My DS is good at mental maths so rarely writes downs his calculations :0.

MTA
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Working out is required.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now