Grammar ?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

workingmom

Grammar ?

Post by workingmom »

Do the articles "a", "an", "the" pass for as being adjectives.

Also, I would add a comma after "Suddenly", "However", however I see some of the GL Assessment tests not including them.

I am not sure.
ontarget

Re: Grammar ?

Post by ontarget »

No, they are articles, not adjectives.

I think you are right about suddenly and needing to put a comma after it.
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

And the same for However at the start of a sentence.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not always true....for example...

However hard I try, I cannot ride a horse.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

My immediate response was that 'a', 'an' and 'the' were not adjectives, but a quick Google search found at least one source which stated that they are. Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark it; I'm fairly sure it wasn't a UK site, though.

One can see that 'a' and 'an' could be described as adjectives describing number, I suppose?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

'The' is a definite article. 'A' and 'an' are indefinite articles. Toad mum I'm struggling to comprehend how they could be adjectives; could you clarify please ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:'The' is a definite article. 'A' and 'an' are indefinite articles. Toad mum I'm struggling to comprehend how they could be adjectives; could you clarify please ?

Not really being serious there - I was just flummoxed to see from the precis that someone somewhere regards any of them as adjectives, but not curious enough to investigate the thinking behind it :lol: . The only thing I could think of was 'a' / 'an' denoting the singleness of something, therefore 'number', but tbh that's a bit lame.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

Articles are adjectives as they describe the noun following them.
'a' book rather than 'the' book
piggys

Post by piggys »

Nope. You are confusing the concept of description with the concept of identification. 'The' book or 'a' book merely identifies the noun. It doesn't describe it. Trendy newspeak calls articles 'determiners' but I'm rather puritanical when it comes to grammar. I noticed in this year's English year 6 SATs that a whole load of new grammatical terms have been invented by the Whitehall cronies. Just to confuse matters further !
salsa

Post by salsa »

Oh! I've called them determinate and indeterminate articles all my life.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now