Kent Test on 8th September 2016

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
punkeson

Kent Test on 8th September 2016

Post by punkeson »

Hi everyone,
My dd is taking her Kent Test on 8th September. She is our eldest daughter so it's the first time we've been through this! I am home tutoring and using the Bond books. We have made great progress with VR and NVR, and English has always been her strong subject. Maths is definitely my main concern. We have been doing half an hour of maths most day over the summer holidays, and daily 10 minute sessions of English, VR and NVR.
To be honest, we do not mind if she passes or not as we have a good local comp which is closer than our nearest grammar, and it has amazing facilities. My problem is that I seem to keep forgetting this fact! I have to keep reminding myself she is only 10 years old and she can only do so much each day. I don't want her to feel under pressure but at the same time I want her to be motivated to do her best.
How does everyone else feel in the final weeks up to the exam? I'm finding it hard to keep perspective and have a sense of panic about the whole thing now.
Thank-you :?
salsa

Re: Kent Test on 8th September 2016

Post by salsa »

Hi,
I think that this attitude may depend on people's personalities. If you've been preparing your child for some time, this may become your project too. Therefore you may need to do a good job and the result may be viewed as getting a grammar school place. I think it's understandable. If this were the case, maybe it would help seeing the project as a different one. Perhaps as working together, helping your child improve, etc. I was very moved recently when my son, having got very good grades at school, thanked me for helping him. I was speechless and almost tearful at his acknowledgment and maturity. He's only ten.
Most children improve their English and Maths with the 11+ preparation regardless of the exam outcome. However, as you have identified, we need to keep the balance of preparation and pressure right. This is quite hard for a parent to achieve sometimes and I struggle too.

Good luck with your preparation. I'm glad you have a good alternative.

Salsa
punkeson

Post by punkeson »

Thank you for your reply! I agree with everything you've said. It does almost become like 'your project' which of course it isn't. I'm of the atitude that whatever the outcome, the skills that we've gone through together will definitely be of benefit going into Year 6 and beyond.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Pleasure. I've told my boy that we'll celebrate just after he takes the exam. He said that we wouldn't know the outcome by then, but I reminded him that we are celebrating his effort whatever the outcome and that I'm very proud of the commitment he has shown.
punkeson

Post by punkeson »

Yes, I definitely agree with rewarding effort not results. We're planning a nice meal for the evening of the test, and will finally let her get her ears pierced on the weekend after the test, although we haven't told her that yet!
salsa

Post by salsa »

It sounds like a good plan. It'll be over soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now