Back up schools for boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
merksalina

Back up schools for boys

Post by merksalina »

Hi everyone,
I'm applying to Westminster, St Pauls and City for my boy - does anyone have any advice about schools that are easier to get into? He passed the St. Paul's exam at 10+ but failed the interview, so I think he has a chance at the really academic schools but would like a safer option as well. Help?
mad?

Re: Back up schools for boys

Post by mad? »

Lots of the other indies are outside central London, whereabouts are you?
mad?
merksalina

Post by merksalina »

We're in Islington.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Highgate and UCS are the ones that spring to mind but also, Bancroft, Forest, Northbridge House, Marylebone? Sorry not my part of London but those should be commutable?.
mad?
merksalina

Post by merksalina »

Oh, thank you! I'd never even heard of some of those, must scurry off to research.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Highgate seems to be very popular right now. I know boys who gave up places at Habs and City for this co-ed.
merksalina

Post by merksalina »

Is the consensus that Highgate is a bit less competitive than St Paul's? I do know someone whose daughter got in there who seemed to think that it was enormously difficult, but maybe she was just proud of her kid.
nyr

Post by nyr »

I get the impression that boys who don't get into QE (state grammar) still have a good chance at Highgate. I believe St Paul's would be tougher.

I think parents believe the Highgate exam is tough because the English comprehension seems to require more detailed responses than most other 11+ tests but it's something that the child can easily prepare for. I remember telling a mum about the structure of the paper in December. It was a surprise to her but the family and tutor worked hard and a place was secured.
floreatetona

Post by floreatetona »

Harrow? That has lots of boys that failed to get into the school they really wanted to go to.. :lol:
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I'm hearing that schools that were traditionally 'back up' options are now a lot tougher to get into, such is the London competition these days.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now