MORSE at Warwick? Anyone know anything

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesh

MORSE at Warwick? Anyone know anything

Post by Minesh »

Some advice needed and I know Guess 55 will assist
Results of DC- good - Durham - Maths/Econ. or verbal offer from Warwick to do MORSE - DC wants to do banking - good at Core Maths not so FM so didn't meet Warwick initial offer to do MAths/ECon.

Any insight into this MORSE - is it well regarded? BSc - Maths, Operational Research, Stat. Econ.-

Many thanks and I hope others have their places.
KB

Re: MORSE at Warwick? Anyone know anything

Post by KB »

If he can cope with the course at Durham I'd go for that.
A traditional course will almost certainly hold more sway.

Not saying this is fair, appropriate or anything else but from experience thats still what happens in the sector.

It's also probably more helpful to do accountancy training after undergraduate, which is a way into banking.

Btw
Internships are really important to get a foot in the door in the industry.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Warwick has a good reputation with the banking sector and MORSE is a good course.

Which uni did he prefer? Read the course info about both before making a decision.
KB

Post by KB »

Did he already look at Durham course and reject it during initial UCAS process?
KB

Post by KB »

Has he done stats modules - did he enjoy them?

( Apologies for multiple posts - mulling this at the back of my mind while doing other things!)
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

Oh I knew I'd get some insightful, informed advice
DC did not reject any offer - confirmed second choice offered but Warwick emailed and was still interested - when phoned offered MORSE!!! for 24 hours

Interesting point about traditional courses -
Yes DC did some STATS modules in Core maths but chose Mechanics as also did Physics (A) - found STATS modules in Core straight forward very high A* in Core -

Unique to Warwick is this MORSE - would Warwick's reputation carry more weight in City?

thanks again - all comments useful as decision needed
KB

Post by KB »

Economics at Durham has a very good reputation as of course does Warwick so he's in a win win situation I think.
No harm just going with his heart on this one!

In practical sense though if Durham was his back up and they have confirmed on UCAS doesn't he need to get them to release him so he can confirm MORSE? Be a bit careful how it's handled so he doesn't end up between the two.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Please don't quote me on this but Warwick has a much better reputation in The City than Durham.

Very well regarded for maths related degrees and alongside Oxbridge and LSE I would put it above Durham.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Very different environments too (though presumably this featured in his previous choices) - Warwick is a campus uni on the outskirts of Coventry but as has been said above has an excellent reputation for Maths , Durham is a lovely small city with the colleges mixed in around ancient buildings and a more pseudo-Oxbridgey feel. Wherever he goes he will have a great time

May depend how far from home he wants to go!
KB

Post by KB »

I think there are probably differing views on this but in terms of career prospects not significant enough difference to override all other factors so that he can really make a 'bad' decision here.

Does the Warwick course have particularly strong links for summer placements? That would certainly be a tangible benefit.

He needs to be happy with the lifestyle - very different at the two places. If he chose Warwick originally because he prefers it as a University to Durham that's another factor. If he prefers the maths/econ as a course and would be happy with the traditional collegiate style at Durham then go for that.

Does it make a significant difference as to how far he is from home? Would that bother him?

Remember, it's a happy choice not a stressful one :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now