Testing Clash

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clarabell

Testing Clash

Post by clarabell »

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice. We live on the Bucks/Herts border and we have a clash between the SW Herts Music aptitude test and the preparation test for Bucks, both on the 13th Sept pm. Herts and Bucks are both being really unhelpful. Is there a way around this or do we have to choose one or the other?

Thanks everyone.
decaff

Re: Testing Clash

Post by decaff »

Pupils in SW Herts have certainly been able to move music test in Herts in past. One of schools in Croxley have had year 6 pupils on school residential trips in the past and have been able to use a reserve day for testing. Perhaps say you are away rather than a clash with alternative exams and this may be more successful. Good luck.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I doubt anyone would be fooled (particularly not if they read this forum!). Surely honesty is the best policy?
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:I doubt anyone would be fooled (particularly not if they read this forum!). Surely honesty is the best policy?
Oh I don't know - people used to post on here that they would be keeping their DC off school altogether at the beginning of the autumn term until they had finished all the exams they had been put in for. Nothing to stop that time being taken 'away' rather than stuck at the dining room table? But yes, honesty usually the best policy, especially if geography makes it reasonable to be applying in both areas. And saying that one will be away would be a bit awkward if one had already approached the schools with a different 'reason', or even (no '...') reason. If the two schools are reasonable alternatives for people living in that area, surely the OP won't be the only one in the same position?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
clarabell

Post by clarabell »

Yes, I have already been honest. SW Herts was apologetic and polite that they couldn't help. Bucks were less so.
It is pretty common to do both tests here as we are equidistant but I don't know anyone in my sons class doing both Bucks academic test and the Herts Music test.
Academically, I think he's more likely to pass the Bucks than get a Herts academic place but he stands a resonable chance in Herts for music.
I guess we'll have to choose, but it seems a shame that I have to narrow our options to 1 school purely because two neighbouring counties can't put their testing on different days!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

clarabell wrote:I guess we'll have to choose, but it seems a shame that I have to narrow our options to 1 school purely because two neighbouring counties can't put their testing on different days!
Unfortunately there are bound to be clashes of testing when the window for 11+ testing is so small. However, you don't have to exclude Bucks from your plans - from the Secondary Admissions Guide:
It is strongly recommended that the Preparation Test is taken before sitting the Transfer Test but it is not essential.
There is a familiarisation paper available to download from the BCC website which will at least give your son a chance to see the format of the test.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

In the past I know from personal experience that if DC didn't turn up on test day for SW Herts (academic) you automatically got allocated a reserve date place, whether or not you informed them. I'm not sure if the same applies for music (and it is a risky last resort) but worth bearing in mind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now