should I allow sporting activity around time of test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
concerned mum

should I allow sporting activity around time of test?

Post by concerned mum »

My child has been asked to enter a sporting event which will take place 10 days before the first 11+ paper. The event will last from early morning to late in the evening. In the past these have been quite tiring and taken a couple of days to recover from (in terms of catching up on sleep, the overall level of activity is relatively low and there is no danger of injury). Does anyone have a view/opinion/experience to help me judge whether I should allow participation in this activity?
usa

Post by usa »

Dear Concerned
Personally I would try and carry on as normally as possible. Assuming that your child wants to do the activity - let them. Over here in USA we have a HUGE amount of distractions and studying has to be quite regimented and organised. Make a timetable of what you need to cover before and after the event and make allowances of what you will not be able to do for those few days after. It was recommended to me to make some sort of plan and know what you need to do be doing on a weekly basis and is a good idea. My child will be going on a 4 day trip to a mountain ranch over here in October and comes back just 2 days before his 1st exam - hey ho!!!!
Carry on as normally as you can and good luck!
USA
Guest456

Post by Guest456 »

My daughter had a 2 hour tennis coaching session ending at 8pm the night before her exam. I didn't want her to do any study the night before the exam and thought a good workout would tire her so she would sleep well. It worked for us.
concerned mum

Post by concerned mum »

thank you guest and usa. you've set my mind at rest. I agree a balance between work and play is important but I guess I was unduly worried following some of the other posts about tutors banning all extra activities in the year (!) before the exam.