Bucks NVR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Northdad

Bucks NVR

Post by Northdad »

For those familiar with the Bucks tests. Would anyone be able to comment on the materials most suited to the NVR test. The elevenplus mocks and First Past the Post papers are similar and focus a lot on 3-D shapes (composite shapes and 3D Nets). Is that reflective of the NVR section? Or is it more like the Bond style questions - more 2D focus?

Or are there papers out there people thought were a better match?

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Bucks NVR

Post by Guest55 »

What matched last year's content may not appear this year ..
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

As Guest55 said who knows what it will be. However in the 3 years of CEM (the 1st and last my children sat) there have been no codes, nets or 3D.

We just did a variety - they are v time pressurised. We did 2 of the bond 10 min tests in 10 mins (aiming to finish by 8 or 9 mins),
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Thanks both. I'm a asking as we haven't really focused much on it although DD has done bits of Bond NVR book last year. The elevenplus Mock and their FTTP papers has a fair degree of 3D. They have 2 whole books on their website focused on 3D NVR.

Kitty mum, do you mean 3 years in a row or 2 out of 3 years?

Based on your experience, it seems like she just needs to practice a little of everything.

Many thanks
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Sorry my post was a bit garbled! Bucks has so far had 3 years of CEM - 2013, 14 and 15. None have had codes, nets or 3D. My children sat Bucks 11+ in 2013 and 2015.
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Ah, so a Bucks veteran.... You are lucky you live in a great county for schools.

Would you say the CEM format changed a lot from 2013 to 2015 or were they relatively consistent?

Thanks
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Tbh I asked my children very little about the tests - my children are pretty comparable ability wise and scored within 3 marks of each other so I guess the tests were fairly similar. Both children scored very highly in VR which I think is the key. They also got high NVR scores and whilst their maths was lower it was still a passing score. I think if your VR is weak then it's a struggle.

We didn't do mocks but did do some timed sections at home.

Interestingly dd (sat last Sept) found the practice paper harder then the real thing. I don't think the styles of questions changed dramatically but I didn't quiz either child in detail.

Yes Bucks has some great schools but so do all areas. Grammar schools are just schools with good points and not so good points.
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Thanks for sharing your children's experience. You must be proud of them.

If you live in LB of Harrow, as we do (where there no Grammars) you end up applying to neighbouring counties.

Yes, VR is key and can never tell whether there is adequate coverage of vocab through the reading etc she does....

By practice paper, I presume you mean the pre-established couple of days before. I had heard that it was meant to be easier than the real thing.... I guess that unpredictability is the name of the game.